Friday, February 29, 2008

Superheroes aren't Such Bad Guys

Now that cleaning is almost finished the task of 'decorating' begins. By the way, today I found about a hundred and twelve knotted up bread bags, some ginsu knives, and a drawerful of lightbulbs. Mildred's adventures in kinky land continue....

I'm having a hard time coming up with a color scheme. I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. There are too many choices and I find myslef overwhelmed. I should hire a decorator, or just have someone who can color coordinate anything come and say "Buy this, hang this, a little dab of this'll do ya' here, and oh, hang this awesome artwork here." I would be fine with that. And for the record, I like original funky art. For example, my cousin painted an entire series of amazing headless dancers. They were beautiful. Thinking of Arty stuff makes me miss Oak Park. It was such a cool place to work....anywho, I do also like classic art and my fave is Renoir and his bold use of colors, the deep reds, etc. I've said before I appreciate art, I can't do it. Grandpa Z did NOT pass that gene down to me.

So, since I am deficient in planning rooms and colors and all that jazz, I brought home wallpaper books for the kids to look at. I am NOT wallpapering rooms, but I'm not opposed to a border here and there.

Jack has decided he wants Spiderman. It's a black border with Red Spideys and silver webs on it. Since I'm not painting the walls black, I'm not sure on accent colors. Ideas?

Nate wants Superman. Superman's wall color would be a very obnoxious blue, or an obnoxious red. Sigh......

I decided Maddie is getting a purple border with ballet-ey fairies and flowers on it. It is cute, girly, not kitsch, and nothing compared to the borders that say, "Divas Rule! Bling Bling! No Boys Allowed!". That's a bit bratty for me. Now, if we do the border in the middle of the room, what color do we paint the walls? Purple? That cute green that goes well with Lavender shades? Should we just do the border at the top of the room?

I am so bad at this. Give me a kid with a problem, I can help problem solve to maybe make life easier. Give me a color wheel and I'm spinning in circles like a lunatic.

Superhero borders make life easy, but it's not so easy to relinquish control on this. I want cute little airplanes, or cars saying "beep beep". This is too grown up for me, really. But in the grand scheme of life, Spidey and Superman aren't such bad compromises.

As long as I get my Fairies dancing on flower petals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deep breath. I will advise you if you want (as you helped me move the plumbing in the little man AND gave me a cool book..which I can't put down, laughing out loud much) I like color, so my house is full of different colors...plus I am an artsy fartsy dork. If you plan on living there a long time..think? Will my kids like Spiderman and Fairies in 5 years? Wallpaper sucks boogers to get down but they have these awesome decals (think enormous stickers) that jazz up any room and come down easily. Just a thought, I'll find a website for you. And speaking from scary wall color painting past...pick a color and then go one shade lighter.

Anonymous said...

www.art-a-peel.com

Weiss Women said...

I have used uppercaseliving.com and really really love their wall stick ons. You saw them when you came to visit. I am not much help decorating...But for Maddie's room if you like lavender and green you should check out the room that Darlene and JR did for Samantha. It is so beautiful. And I think that it is something that will work all thru her teen years as long as she still likes lavender. And you could change out the wall clings after the fairies aren't fun anymore. :) Darlene is also good at picking out colors. Try her!