Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Down Side of My Job, and Goodbye College Fund, Hello Bail Money

Yesterday I was getting ready to go to work as I do every Saturday. I have changed my schedule a bit so I can go workout before I start treating kids, but ditched yesterday and spent a little extra time at home. I knew something was up when Jack got very emotional watching "Tigger and Pooh". He got very upset that Nate was making noise and started crying and being almost premenstrual. I told John to go easy on him, he wasn't feeling well.

Talk about an understatement. On my way home around 5:30 I called to see if we needed anything and John said, "no, oh and Jack's still sleeping". Still sleeping? Still sleeping? Still Sleeping? Jack doesn't sleep. Remember, he's a "pathological insomniac" that was Cured with an OT brushing program. Still, he doesn't nap for 4 HOURS!!! unless something is terribly wrong.

When I got home he was zoned on the couch trying to sleep and had a fever. He also complained about his headache. His head hurted so bad!!! Immediately my mind was racing (thus the downside of my job). Now, as a parent, I don't stress about very many things. What? He found that on the floor and is eating it? Must be still edible. Who colored on the walls today? (Or carpet, or furniture). Okay, I'll clean it up. Why are you eating Play-Doh? Sure, let's run wild in the germy habittrails at Mc'Donalds. It'll strengthen the immune system. How many episodes of Tom and Jerry have you watched today? I NEVER made people wash their hands before they held the kids, and when things come up lately that could be a huge deal I stop and think: Who is this hurting? If it's someone other than the offender, than there's a stop put to the insufferable behaviour. If it's only the kid who's needing to learn a lesson, well, they learn their own lessons, and sometimes the hardway. Some Things are not worth the battle (Sure you can wear shorts out today in 30 degree weather. Let your kid get away with it. They learn that lesson quickly, and then come to trust your better judgement as a parent).

I digress. There are two MAJOR things though, that as a parent I DO stress about. #1 is car seat safety. I am not the greatest driver (mostly at night) because I lack a little thing called "depth perception". Plus, since having kids I get very nervous very easily when other cars get to what I perceive as being too close to my vehicle. And don't get me started on speeding and maniacal driving. These are my babies I am toting around. I err on the side of caution to a fault.

The #2 thing I am a FREAK about is sickness. Illness. Ear infections (hearing loss?), or anything else weird. This is an Occupational Hazzard I am afraid. So, of course when Jack is saying he has a headache, my first thought is Not of "oh, Poor baby", it's "John, maybe I need to take him to the ER for an MRI. Kids don't just get headaches. What if he has a tumor, or brain aneuryism, or meningitis. Or WORSE!"

Or, what if he caught a little flu virus at school and needs to sleep it off? Totally normal kid thing. But, unfortunately I have seen the worst of what can happen if a medical issue is ignored and I tend to sometimes go over the top to prevent any medical issues for any little thing. This is not to say I have my kids in bubbles to prevent colds and things like that. But, the second some weird virus takes hold I am crazily monitoring fluids, watching for pupil dilation, analyzing gait and tone, etc. etc. etc.

AND, I am a big freak in the Dr.'s office too. I am my kids' biggest advocate, and my Doc has come to expect me to bring issues to him. Like at Maddie's last Healthy baby appt, I was telling him about the development of her pincer grasp and hey by the way, check out her frenulum do you think that affects her oral motor abilities (resulting in an ENT visit and surgery), and NO we are not vaccinating against viruses AB or C today, but we'll do just ONE of these on the list. -Side note, Neither Nate or Maddie has had their Hepatitis shots. Neither of them are doing IV drugs or having sex yet either, so I still don't find it necessary until I have to-.

Long story short, Jack is fine, but I'm exhausted. I didn't sleep much last night because I kept checking on him, monitering his fever, and rate of respiration, and how dilated his eyes looked, etc, etc, etc. I am a nutjob for sure. But, when you see the worst that can happen.....

On to better, funny, happy things. We are no longer saving for Nate to go to College. He may make it there eventually, but all the money in the account we have for him may just go for Bail Money. Yes, as in JAIL BAIL. This little sniper today got into the high up cabinet (using a chair while I was changing Maddie's diaper upstairs), grabbed the 4 lb bag of M &M's down that we use to reward good Potty Behaviour, Closed the Cabinet, Pushed the chair back to it's original spot, and snuck into the basement. I totally caught him off guard and busted him, but what I can't get over is the fact that a 2 and 1/2 year old COVERED HIS TRACKS, and HID THE EVIDENCE!!!

Nate was my best baby. Textbook easy. Now I know that it is only to have prepared me for the life of grief and grey hair I will get from trying to raise him to be a good boy (which he tries very hard to do). He's just a little like Dennis the Menace. Or Tom Sawyer a little bit (or is he more a Huck Finn?). Not a BAD kid, just naughty enough and the stunts he pulls are ingenious, and just a little funny.

Wish me luck with this kid. I've got my hands full with him alone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh.