Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Hello...Helmet Head

My appearance is lacking lately. Maybe it's the whole mama drama, I don't know. Maybe I just need some sleep and some sun. Not sure. But I feel pasty and pale. There are dark circles under my eyes, most likely caused by anemia, thalessemia and sleep deprivation. My hair is not growing down and long, it grows out, like a gigantic pouf, or helmet. I blame kids for that. Hormones have caused my previously stick straight hair to turn curly/wavy and now it is like a birds nest that travels with me wherever I go. I thought that maybe a facial and good haircut would help, but really, who am I kidding. I feel like I look old, and I'm not really getting younger so I guess there's no hope for the funk I'm in. Yuck. Sigh....

On an unrelated note, I'm still a little ticked at pastors wife (yes, PASTORS wife). First of all, let me say that I feel for these people with their 2 little kids. They live their life in a fishbowl, so I have a bit of empathy for them. But, a few Sundays ago when we were talking to a woman about to give birth I said, "Oh, just get your epidural and you'll be fine!". This woman (PW we'll call her) looked at me and said, "Why would you intentionally drug your baby?" Like, I had just done some crack and given birth, or shot up heroin, or something other than a pain releasing non blood barrier crossing epidural. I was stunned. I am sooo happy that SHE was able to give birth in her bedroom drug free. Good for you and your baby too. BUT, first of all, if I did that, who cleans that mess up? ME! And no thanks. Secondly, IF I had given birth at home I would have probably died, and so would Jack and Nate. Of that I am sure, since Jack had to be extracted with a vacuum, and Nate had the cord wrapped around him and I bled out so bad with Jack I was pretty much in line for a blood transfusion. So don't judge me because I did what I had to to get my kids here safe and healthy and to allow myself to survive the experience. It was for all intents and purposes a too judgemental comment on something very personal. And now that I've vented I can let it go.

In another unrelated note, anyone who makes some atrocity called "Spinach Cookies" should be sued for libel, or slander, or whatever it is. You either eat "spinach" or you eat "cookies". You do not combine the two and try to healthy up an unhealthy snack. And for the record, what is WRONG with a cookie? One a day keeps the kids happy, and mommy a little less crazy. Jack actually went to a birthday party where the "cake" was a VEGAN COOKIE. What the hell is a VEGAN COOKIE? Where was the frosting? Where was the day-glo favorite cartoon character painted on the top? It was ludicrous, and I turned down a sampling whole heartedly. How bout this...No more organic unhealthy food pretending to be healthy. Stop being overly granola. Haters.

Sorry about that. I just read about someone doing that and had to wonder why mommies are always trying to outdo one another with our giftedly organic Stepford kids.
My children are pretty gifted in 3 areas:
1.) Making messes they refuse to clean up.
2.) Crapping their pants (okay, Jack's better but 15 diapers a day later between the bottom too...I win this one, hands down. and
3.) Watching t.v. like zombies. Zoned out drooling Zombies. And I love it because it gives me a little bit of time to cook supper in peace.
I'm hearing stories already about Kinneygarten next year and how kids are in high or low level groups and how parents compare their kids academically, blah blah blah. Are my kids nice? Yup. Will they get whatever is being taught in their own sweet time? Yup. Do I care? Nope. I just want them happy. No performance anxiety here.

So, no more "My kid is better than yours" garbage. Unless we're talking about how to fill a diaper multiple times a day.

I win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you look beautiful. I had a meltdown in the dressing room of Gordman's yesterday...hello flourescant lights and full length mirror. Don't fret, it's 2pm and I'm still in sweats and paint stained shirt :) and very big HOORAY for standing up for epidurals....I'm pretty sure Baylor wouldn't have made it either if it wasn't for drugs (and neither would I) and spinach cookies suck donkey balls....and taste like them too. Have a good day!! Spring is almost here and then we can get mama tan lines :)