Monday, March 17, 2008

Poor Baby!

Today I took Maddie in for her 15 month checkup. Yes, she was 19 months old last week. We're a little behind. That's the story of my life..."We're a little S L O W."

Good news, she is in double digits with her weight percentile- We've made it from the 2-3% up to the 12-13th%. She is large and in charge! NOT!

Doc started the typical developmental questions until I interrupted him and told him that developmentally she's fine...let's talk about these 7 diapers a day. Does she have maybe a food allergy I'm not aware of? Does she need a gastro work up? He doesn't think so, but to appease me, he suggested that when we do our CBC blood draw to get an iron count (haven't done it since she got off the iron drops in October) that we just add a metabolic enzyme workup to give to the lab. Fine. There's a needle in her anyway, why not?

Well, talk about your all time backfires. At 10:15 when we were done at Docs, I rushed her to the hospital to do the labwork. I figured I'd be out of there by 11 to rush back to school to get Jackster. Not so much. By the time we got back to the lab I was watching the clock tick 10:55 and ready to rush out. Since she's had blood drawn before, I figured it wouldn't take any time and then we could go.

We wound up going thru 2 phlebotomists and 3 sticks. Within these 3 sticks they kept the needle in her arms and then hand moving and digging because they kept blowing her veins. Poor baby just cried and cried and as I held her in restraint mode I was getting a little woozy too. Nate was making friends in the lab and pilfering suckers, but Maddie just looked so sad. She keeps pointing to the cotton on her wrist and saying, "Owwwie". "Owwwie".

I failed to mention to the lab that she's had rampant diarrhea for 3 days and hey, it looks like she may be a little dehydrated. Mother of the year awards may have to go to someone else this time around...

They did what they had to do. Now we wait for the results. I just hope I don't have to give her iron anymore. She hates that stuff.

I can't hardly blame her.

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

poor little thing. Even if she is tough as nails it is hard to see them suffer. I am so glad she hit 20 lbs!