Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Kids Just Seem Out of Control Lately

Okay, John actually uttered those words yesterday when I gave him a rundown of the morning's drama. I think he thinks I lack control over the beasts, but if I yelled at them all the time, that's all I'd be doing. I can't go there. I'll get a sore throat.

I am TRYING very very hard to keep the kids in bed. They are usually up in the a.m. by 5:30/6. I've taken away t.v. time in the morning hoping to strip them of any incentive. I've tried the whole "Stay in Bed until 7 thing". That doesn't work with 2 boys whose entire goals in life are to become Darth Vader when they grow up. Fabulous.

Thus, my solution was to intall a "No Breakfast Until 7 a.m." policy. This would've been great except last Friday Nate got into the bread in the fridge (I refuse to go downstairs even) and I had a loaf of mushed dough and its resulting crumbs all over my kitchen and living room.

Fast forward to yesterday and the whole reason the kids are wacky "out of control". Jack wanted to make breakfast. I told him no. He went down anyway and when I meandered down I found an entire gallon of milk spilled on the floor, some soggy shredded wheat in bowls filled to the brim and a look of guilt. Jack had to clean it up, even if he wasn't directly responsible. I DID tell him no for heaven's sake.

Then, as I was getting Mads dressed I heard an UH OH and crunching in the kitchen. Run downstairs (Note in previous blog: I should NEVER turn my back. Not even to brush my own teeth) and I find Nate amid a pile of Doritos (the WHOLE BIG BAG from Costco) and he had knocked over the vinegar I use to clean the floors with so there was a soggy Doritoey mess everywhere. Fantastic.

I did get it all cleaned up though and the house looked great for our showing today. Operation Make rooms look bigger is another blog entirely though.

I'd better run and divert any potential disasters............

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Wow! You must be tired. Let me rephrase...more tired than usual. Having your house show ready is such a headache. At least Nate spilled the Vinegar with the doritos creating an eco friendly cleaning product! I am sure that is what he was thinking! I think you are doing a great job trying to turn their morning routine around. Don't give up! It is hard to change habits! Maybe you need to come out to the big O and visit again! Your house would stay clean for many days!