Saturday, June 07, 2008

New Uses for A Towel

Nate had a speech eval yesterday at my clinic. Since he's not yet 3, he had an early intervention eval, complete with a DT eval (developmental). My coworker Krista yelled at me to stop being the DT in the room. My job yesterday was mommy, she was getting paid to DT. Okay, okay. I backed off reluctantly. Those hats I wear are not easily interchangeable.

The speechie who did his eval was awesome. He actually just went in for articualtion issues, since he's missing a lot of his consonant blend sounds, and not producing sounds medially, not to mention he doesn't use the plural form of objects at all. When he combines all these elemts together and talks fast, if you don't know the context fo the story, you have no clue what he is trying to communicate.

To ease all your suspensful reading, there is a recommendation on the table, based on the speechie's clinical judgement to get him into therapy. He also needs work on colors and shapes, but since that is secondary to potty training right now, I'll let school handle it.

The speechie did a language test, along with an articulation eval. Nate had to identify objects and their function, list opposites, etc. At one point she pointed to a towel and asked what it was. The conversation went like this: (Keep in mind he was whispering almost the entire speech eval.)

SLP: (Speech/language pathologist): Nate, what is that?
N: It's a towel.
SLP: Right. What do you do with it?
N: I pee my pants, it naughty I clean it up.

SLP: Jen, was that what I think it was?
Me: Yes. Nate, tell her again.
N: I pee my pants, it naughty, I clean it up.

I went red in the face I'm sure, because my child knows more about cleaning messes than hygiene.

Oh well. He's right. It is naughty to pee your pants. And he does clean it up.

Hooray for id'ing the function of a towel, Nate style.

No comments: