Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Interesting Fact

Last week as I was getting my foot rekineseotaped by my favorite inhouse pediatric physical therapist, I got on the topic of my TMJ with her. She's like an expert, having practically lived on a liquid diet for months and is recovering well.

Long story short, seems that anything in the jaw is DIRECTLY related to pelvic instability (remember my suffering with pubic symphysis dysfunction?). I've been working very hard to strengthen my core and am well on my way to a 2 pack of abs, however, I also found out it is natural to clench the jaw fairly tightly when doing sit-ups. and most especially machines that are poorly designed and cause pubic pain more than abdominal muscle strenghtening.

So, next time you do a sit-up or other ab work, consciously note if you're clenching. If so, put your tongue on the roof of your mouth, behind your teeth and press it up. It automatically releases jaw and cheek muscles. And it works.

So there you have it. Now to find my therapy ball and do some sit ups....YES!!

No comments: