Sunday, September 10, 2006

Grandma's 1 Liners



This is me with my grandma's at my Baby Girl shower. One grandma is in her mid 70's, the other in her mid 80's.

They both have these sayings from years ago that crack me up, especially the ones my gram from Kentucky comes up with. It makes me sad to realize that when she's gone, a wealth of polite language that people never use with each other anymore will also disappear. For instance, if we don't talk for a couple of weeks she'll phone and say "I haven't heard from you in a month of Sunday's". It's a nice way of saying "I'm old, you're a shit, get off your duff and call me."

My dad's mom cracks me up with her sayings too, but for a different reason. The woman raised 9 kids and I honestly don't know how the hell she did it. I can't even handle three. My favorite one liner from Grandma came when I was complaining about all the "stuff" women/mom's have to do. I do not remember the exact way she put it, but she said something along the lines of how she used to say she had so much to do and "If you shove a broom up my ass I can sweep the floors while I'm doing everything else around here."

How true is that? I feel I live life running between my laundry room, and the kitchen with the cooking and cleaning, and you know what? If I shoved a broom up my ass, the floors WOULD get clean in the process.

Someday, these women will not be around to give me such sage advice and I am going to regret not listening to them more. I really need to start paying better attention to the lessons they're teaching me, even when they're not intending to. Between the two of them they raised 14 kids, so they should know what they're talking about, right?

Right.

PS Isn't that the coolest shirt I'm wearing (Gram would call it a blouse. No one calls dress shirts blouses anymore. Why?) I bought it for $1 at Old Navy. Swear to God. I love that blouse.

4 comments:

Weiss Women said...

You're hot, the Grams are hot, and your shirt is stinking HOT!
-Julianne

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh! Jennifer you absolutely make my day. I love reading your blogs.
You so make me laugh. As for grandma and her comments/stories Erin suggested recording her as she tells them because I certainly can't remember them all and she does love talking about the past everytime we're together.
Both grandma's are precious gems and we're so fortunate to have them, 1 liners and all.
Well grandma Betty will be at Brookes christening. We'll see if she has any words of wisdom. hmmmmm.
Love Aunt Eileen

Anonymous said...

p.s. You did look adorable in that shirt. You're adorable anyway!! :-)

jen said...

you finally got a picture on your Blog! I can't believe it!
Your tribute is beautiful, Grandmas are good for some interesting advice...if you learn how to shove a broom up your ass without causing too much damage let me know.
Love ya
Jen