Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Everyone Should Have a Top 10

Last week I saw Lance Armstrong's ex-wife on Oprah. I got to watch about 2.5 minutes of the show with the little ones screaming, but what I did catch I thought was great. She said that before her divorce, her only identity was her husband...for example if you asked her for a list of 10 things she loved or enjoyed, the 10 items would center around her husband. She would say, "oh, I love how I married such a great dad" or whatever. Now, her top 10 is all about her. So, I decided to write my top ten loves that have nothing to do with my family, subject to change without notice or warning. Of course I love these guys, but they're not my ENTIRE identity.


So, here goes. And, oh yeah, I'm not writing corny things like "I love romantic walks at sunset." Everyone loves romantic walks at sunset if you can get them. These are more like, everyday things.

10. I love intense t.v., like 6 Feet Under and the X-Files. I do not love the Emmy committee that snubbed all things 6 Feet Under, it was seriously one of the best shows on t.v. I also despise anything on the WB, or what is now the CW. I find it insulting that Fran Dresher is still considered funny enough to have her own show again.

9. I love oreo blizzards from DQ with a sprinkling of cookie dough in it. YUM!

8. I LOVE a good red wine, preferably a Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon, thank you.

7. I love brownies so much I could eat an entire pan if I didn't control myself.

6. I love a good book, preferably one about a culture I know nothing about. For example, I loved the "Kite Runner", "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" and also "Sky Burial". I thoroughly enjoyed "Cane River" as well.

5. I love Pop culture. I love watching "I Love the 70's, 80's and 90's" all on VH1. I love reading Us Weekly when it's not about American Idol people (I hate reality tv). I love the People magazine crossword when I'm in the OB's office with nothing to do while I'm sitting with a paper towel covering me from the hips down. This crossword if very Pop Culture friendly.

4. I love Fondue. All kinds, but mostly the dessert. Mmmmmmm.....

3. I love to smell good. Lotions, soaps, perfumes... anything not flowery, but clean. I love my house to smell good too...hence candles and homemade cooking.

2. I love alternative music and the punk bands of old like Violent Femmes. Euraser, and the Ramones. I hate 80's bubble gum pop, but enjoyed the rap and rock from that decade immensely, until of course Eddie Vedder and the Grunge movement took hold. Forget Cobain though, too overrated, like the Beatles.

1. I love my girlfriends. I wish we could hang out more without kids and talk like grownups do. But then, what do we talk about when we're together but our kids anyway.

This is just a sampling of my favorite things. I'd love to hear from other gals about their top tens!!!

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

I am totally stealing this for my blog. My quick unthoughtout version will be something like this:
10. I love senseless celebrity gossip. People Magazine day is a big deal to me.

9. I love chocolate. Not getting around it.

8. I love laughing with my girlfriends. Old ones and new ones.
7. I love hanging out with my MOM.
6. Purple has always, always, always been my favorite color. I feel a stong connection to it. Like it tells the story of my personality somehow. Weird huh!

5. I love to read books. I could read one a day before kids. I need to start doing it again.

4. I love going to the salon. I love how the products smell. I love strangers touching my scalp. I love facials and massages. I like spending that kind of money on myself and not feeling any guilt about it.

3. I love to rollarblade. In FL Craig and used to go for 20 mile rides. I love the wind in my sweaty hair and that small feeling of possibly falling.

2. I love falling asleep listening to the ocean.

1. I am running out of ideas! I guess this is a good exercise.

-Julianne