Sunday, September 03, 2006

Clean Your Mess up!

Today we went to my parent's house for a cook-out. It was a nice family event...I brought brownies, my sister brought corn, my brother worked the grill, dad ate about 5 Italian sausages and heaps of some Polish potato salad, Grandma met Madilynn, and mom fried up some zucchini.

The ride home was pleasantly quiet because Jack is into the Mulan II cd lately. Great. When we got home we unloaded the car for the most part, got the kids their baths, and got Nate to bed. I was feeding Maddie when I heard the crash. Instantly I knew that the lid to my 8 x 8 Corningware dish toting said brownies had somehow met its death via driveway black top.

Then, out of the mouth of a wee babe I hear in the sweetest clearest way possible, "You made a mess dad."

Yes Jack, I know, I made a mess.

"You better clean that mess up dad. You made the mess, so now you gotta clean it up. It's your job."

For anyone who does not have a 3 year old, this may not be a big deal. For anyone trying to teach their kids how to clean up after themselves, this is a riot. So, while upstairs nursing, I giggled, and then a moment of panic hit. What if it wasn't just the LID of the pan, but the whole pan with extra uneaten brownies lying on my driveway? Crap! Those would've been good for breakfast tomorrow!!

Gloriously enough, when I went downstairs, I discovered the pan intact, with John ouside sweeping up his mess, and Jack holding the flashlight in place, presumably supervising the glass lid removal.

Of course, at that moment, I had to make sure the brownies were still okay, and I must say they are quite delish. Fantastic!!

2 comments:

jen said...

The things our children repeat! Thank God it wasn't something that you wished you had never said. Those are the things that are always echoed here! Brownies... Yum!
Bon Appetite.
Jen

Weiss Women said...

Thank goodness the brownies were salvaged. That is what is really at stake here, not the good principles you have installed in your son but the ability to have a husband break the correct part of the pan. I commend you.
love, Julianne