Friday, August 25, 2006

Friends vs. Family

I hate to say it, but I have to. Even though I know she's going to read this blog. Even though I mean what I'm about to say in only the nicest terms possible, but there's no way to go about saying it delicately so I just have to "word vomit" (Thanks Lindsay Lohann in Mean Girls!) it out. Forgive me for saying it, but Julianne moving to Nebraska has been close to one of the most magical things that has ever happened to me and my family. Don't get me wrong here, I miss her and her adorable chitlins, but if she had never left and had a going away dinner, I would never have made the friends I have since.

I am a VERY strong believer in karma, and everything happening for a reason. Julianne had to leave so that I would make other mom friends before I had baby no. 3 and not be so isolated and alone here. Of course, I could have met these moms had she stayed, probably, but, who knows??? Because while I have a lot of friends with kids, most either live a good distance away or they work, so playdates are minimal and become big "Day Trips". It's nice to have a playgroup to just meet at a park and gripe with on a regular basis.

These moms, I have come to discover, are not only really good moms, but they are an incredibly wonderful group of women. They took me out the Sat. before Maddie was born, just as a last hurrah. And now, this entire week, a different mom has provided my family with a meal every night. It's been fantastic food too, comfort food on every level, complete with salads, breads, sides, a main meal, and of course everyone has brought a dessert. This has been amazing, appreciated, and very much enjoyed.

So this is where the "Friends vs. Family" title comes in. My family calls every single day, several times a day, but otherwise, we're not getting much by way of "extra help". Okay, my mom brought dinner for us last Saturday, but otherwise, we're not getting any "extra help".
Or "extra sleep" either since the boys' adjustment seems to be affecting nothing but their sleep habits and patterns (can I say NO NAP for either child happened today??? Not good when Jack woke up at 4:45 and was FORCED back to bed by a mother who was up every 2 hours). I understand everyone is busy, and has to work, so, while my family helps me out in a bind when we need them to, and they're great about it, our friends have stepped up to the plate and become sort of our extended family this week. My mom repeatedly has said that she has better friends than family and she's right...her siblings are all crazy and I'm glad she's gotten closer to my dad's sisters as of late. They've been awesome too, but that's another Blog.

I guess I owe Julianne a heartfelt "Thanks for Moving", but it's not right(my heart's not in it), because while I am so blessed to have made these friends because she left, the point is she left, and EVERYONE misses her and the girls. I suppose this is the one time in my life I was able to make the proverbial lemonade out of lemons, I just wish I wouldn't have had to, and I had a crystal ball that would have told me things would be relatively the same for me had she stayed.

Damn, these meals have been good though!!! :-)

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Reading this post made me cry. Not because I feel bad (that you are glad I moved) but because it makes me miss those same women you are writing about. I have been looking at pictures from my visit to IL and it amazes me that I met so many wonderful people who became so important to me and remain so. I am so glad that they can mean that much to you too. Friends are so important. So important. And the really good quality ones are rare. There seems to be a high concentration of quality women in your area! I miss you and I miss them. They did the same kind things for me after I had Gwyneth. I am so glad that they are looking after you too!
love, Julianne (the evil one who moved)