Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cue the Music


This week in our town is "spring clean week", which translates into "Throw out whatevah you want bee-aches" week. In my subdivision, the things being put into landfills today literally makes me a little physically ill. Some stuff, like, perfectly good rolltop desks, dressers, mattresses, car seats, plastic outdoor play equipment, toys, lawn furniture, lawn decos, old records, etc (You WOULDN'T believe this crap) really could have and probably should have been donated to a church, women's shelter, or other charitable organization. Instead, it was junked. Hello global warming! I no longer wonder why you're knocking on my proverbial door!
Getting back to the point, the "junkers" (cue the Sanford and Son Music now) were out in full force last night. Their trucks were reinforced with rebar and plank wooden sides to hold in all the new goodies. While I'm glad some stuff is getting reused, I'm a little sad that there are people out there furnishing their entire homes with garbage picked goods- but since my sister in law stopped by last night around 9:30 with a perfectly useable new purple bike for Madzilla, I guess I'm no different.
I went for my Brick (25 min. bike/20 min. run) workout at about 5a.m. today and was stunned. You can tell who really got garbage picked, because the stuff that was no good was strewn all over their lawns. C'mon people! If you're gonna garbage pick it, at least do so in an orderly fashion! And, on an aside, I can't wait for our neighborhood garage sale the first weekend in May, based on what people are THROWING AWAY!
I stalked I mean talked to Jen today and she said her favorite thing to do during this time is to start "porch drinkin'" (apparently it's an Iowa thing) and watch the poor guys on bikes with their walkie talkies radio to the guys in the trucks what goods are where, and watch the trucks drive and race each other pell mell to the crap on people's curbs. Damn! Since her garbage day ( 2 miles away) is Monday and mine is Wednesday, I think I'll start porch drinkin' with her over the weekend and join in the spectacle. At least it's cheap entertainment.
And, I've also learned something this week too. There is, apparently, a Cardinal Rule that you NEVER under ANY circumstances garbage pick from your own curb. Across the street/a block away-fine. But never your own curb.
Who knew?

1 comment:

Keri Speidel said...

Oooohhhhh sounds like fun. I am soooo the junking type. You'd laugh, I own no new furniture and 80% was found on a. street corner (probably across the street) b. Mama's basement BUT I fixed them up all purdy. You got to do what you got to do. Next year I'll be up with my camo on.