Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Follow Up


I had to take Maddie to the Doc yesterday. I claimed it was her ER follow up, but really, she didn't look good. She still had a fever, and this weird rash thing on her face and limbs. She was miserable, and I didn't sleep Monday night, due to her needing to be touching me the entire night and moaning and wimpering every time she moved. The poor thing was just miserable.
So, in we went. I have a fairly decent relationship with our GP, mostly due to the fact that in the past five years with kids, not only have I personally financed his 4 summer homes, but I'm pretty sure I've also supplied the income necessary to allow him return to India for a MONTH every year.
It's never good when the doctor walks in and says, "Oh, she doesn't look good." However, thanks to this statement, I felt validated in bringing her in. LOOONG story short, he put her on antibiotics. He listened to her chest, and asked if the ER got a chest film on her. No, they did not. Well, her breathing is coarse and wheezy, and he couldn't promise that a viral infection wouldn't/didn't turn bacterial, and since it wasn't quite pneumonia YET...blah blah blah here's the dose. Thank YOU! (The rash was just her body's way of fighting the fever). I did kind of get a lecture on her eating and needing to drink milk yada yada yada. I can't help it. I try, but I think she's just a little girl. What can I do?
She still had trouble sleeping last night, and still isn't right. My workouts and training are SEVERLY compromised, but I can't take a sick kid in to the Y and infect everyone else. She hasn't even been fever free for 24 hours. I've been eating like crap (not in quantity, but certainly quality) so I'm sure I'm porking out. You know how it is. You're tired, and crabby, and feel gross because sometimes that workout is all you get in a day to feel good about yourself....Sigh....
We are almost back to normal, but she's still a little lethargic, still not quite 100%. One more rest day, then we'll get there.

1 comment:

Keri Speidel said...

Poor thing! We totally understand the being sick deal, we practically have our own parking space at the Dr. Hope you get some MAMA time to run and work out. My alone time today was speed mowing the lawn...fabulous!