Sunday, January 04, 2009

What's That I Smell...Mmmm Just a Constant Spray Of Lysol is All

I have been sick since Christmas, and while it has sucked majorly to be sick during "Christmas Break", it's been the best time to be sick because John has been home and able to take care of the darlings. Let's review:

Christmas I come down with Bronchitis/pneumonia.

New years Eve's eve: John comes down with Stomach bug.

New Years Eve: I take the kids on a freaking 12 hour excursion to visit my bruddah's new apt. in Roscoe, the Rockford Children's museum, and then a dinner buffet/cheese fondue/chocolate fountain at Jenny and Sean's. I DID stop home, because John offered to drive me there as they only live 2 miles away and I could drink freely. Sure. Why not. Nevertheless, I only had about 2 glasses of wine, since I was feeling slightly queasy. Chalked it up to antibiotic action and not eating enough for the day....WRONG!

New Years Day: We spend the afternoon at his Aunt Judy's. I LOVE going to see all the family on New Years. I LOVE seeing everyone's kids. I did NOT love having to exit suddenly with narry a goodbye because I apparently caught John's bug. We weren't halfway home (it's about an hour and change away) when I had to have him pull over on the expressway with every state trooper on the planet out and projectile vomit. THANK GOD I hadn't really eaten that day either (my stomach was still uneasy, but I totally blamed it on the fiber/antibiotic coctail I'd had earlier) so really all I threw up was water, because I drank about 4 bottles worth at his aunts house.

We got home, and I didn't have fever, just chills. The chills, my friends, suck. I couldn't get warm and had to have the electric blanket on high. The next day I had the aches. My knees and hips were yelling at me everytime I was in any one positition too long. It was so bad that I took my kids' Tylenol, guestimating a doseage for my weight, because I didn't have any grown up Tylenol and I'm pretty sure Advil would have ripped my already sensitive stomach to shreds.

I was able to finally eat a family meal with my family tonight for the first time since Christmas.

Why am I telling you all this? I'm not sure, really. But, when it comes to my health I have come to some conclusions.

1.) I am totally redoing my 'abnormal' pap earlier than the scheduled April. Insurance be damned. I don't care what the doc has said about 'cervical cells not really being related to colon cells'. Mutating cells are mutating cells. I realize both how rational and irrational this sounds.

2.) I am scheduling a mammogram ASAP. Again with the mutating cells thing. I'm sure my OB/GYN will maybe try and talk me out of it, saying I'm not really in a risk group given my age and the fact that only my aunts and grandmother had breastcancer, but really, I wasn't in any risk group to have a precancerous colon polyp either. The doc's office said because of the colonoscopy results I'd have to get a mammogram by 35 anyway, so what's the harm in getting a baseline a few years early?

3.) Being sick these past weeks with very normal stuff makes me realize I don't have the luxury of just saying "Well, I'm not really old enough for colon cancer, or breast cancer or insert illness here...". I haven't enjoyed it, and am trying to be more proactive regarding diet, exercise and preventative care. John said(even though he agrees with me getting EVERYTHING checked out) it seems like I'm almost looking for something to be wrong. That is not the case. That's really quite the opposite. I have big plans for the next several years of my life.

The only form of sick I wanna be is to maybe have a cold.

Like I said, I gots me some plans.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better! Hope all the little ones stay well....we have book club on Sunday! C.

Anonymous said...

I love you!!!!! Take care of yourself and who the hell cares what the doc says if you need some peace of mind. Get your mammogram!!! I'm off to read about Rosie!!! :)