Thursday, January 22, 2009

Get Out Your Vat of Rubbing Alcohol, You're Gonna Want It

Last night I went in for my girl parts re-check and left all the more wiser on all things HPV. Now, I don't have HPV, but I could get it. And, well, so can you.

Based on my exam, doc confirmed that I will most likely get an abnormal result, and once again the HPV test will be run. I asked that since I didn't HPV last year if it was really necessary, because it's an STD, right?

Welllllll, not exactly. Doc and I had a 10 minute conversation about HPV, and how it is transmitted via skin to skin contact. There are well over 100 variations of the virus, and how it manifests for you depends on your own individual immune system. Some people get warts, some people it doesn't even affect, so while you can get the virus through sexual contact, you can also get it from a kiss, hug or handshake. Essentially 100 % of the population is exposed, whereas with the other STD's only maybe 2% of the population is exposed and they must be treated because they could get sick or potentially die. HPV really can't be cured.

I got my biology lesson and then some, and now so have you. You can find more about HPV here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus

And while all during this conversation I felt enlightened and learned something, I also caught a good case of the Heebie Jeebies and wanted to douse my body in some sort of chemical cleanser. It's like thinking about those skin mites that everyone has. Shiver shiver shiver. Ugh.

But now with the grace of this PSA, you can consider yourself informed. Don't say I didn't warn ya....it's....everywhere.....

No comments: