Sunday, November 12, 2006

Running

I did a 5K race with Steph today. She paced in at about a 10 minute mile, give or take a few seconds. I was tired since the baby was up at least twice last night and paced a 12 minute mile. Not too bad 3 mos. postpartum and out of shape, but not the greatest either.

It was fun, once you get past all the garbage in your head telling you how much it hurts, and how
crazy you are. Then you look around at the beautiful scenery and enjoy the run because you know at the end there will be food and water, and in some cases even beer (not today though).

The best parts of the race were A.) when I wanted to quit I "hooked up" with another lady and we ran the last 3/4 mile together. It was good motivation and incentive. B.) My sister met me slightly before the finish line and pushed me to the end by running with me. C.) We saw a really hairy guy and could laugh together and "Scary Harry" who by some freak of nature actually had more body hair than my brother, whom we have nicknamed the "Wookie".

We are hoping to do a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. I hope she finds one by her because the one by me doesn't cost anything to enter except a can of food for the food pantry, but doesn't give you a t-shirt either. When you run these things, it's all about the t-shirt.

Oh, and the beer and the food at the end don't hurt either. Thanks Steph, I had fun today!!!

3 comments:

jen said...

Bravo! I am envious of you taking the time to do such things. You would't catch my ass doing a 5k and if you did you would be picking it up off the ground! So BRAVO! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Thanks... thats all I have to say.

Weiss Women said...

I can't believe you went running! Good for you! Way to take one for the team!