Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Officially, I've Now Done TriathlonS, (as in multiple tri's)

I'm going to start this blog by stating that the race Sunday was AWESOME!!! So much fun! And now for the deets:

I woke up around a quarter to four a.m., made a pot of coffee, and ate some toast with peanut butter on it before I headed out. I made it to the race site by 5:15 and racked up, which I wound up having to redo because I was wave 20 and racked on the wrong side of the 2 sided sign, so it looked like I was in wave 21, and then when I re-racked I was on the wrong side of the 20 again, so it looked like I was in wave 19 and at that point I said the hell with it and stayed put.

By 8:00 the sun was coming up, the air was getting warmer, and they announced the water temp was about 71 degrees, so I opted to not wear a wetsuit. The water was still cold, but manageable, and I'm interested to see my time because you had to run up a big hill of sand before you crossed the timing mat to get your swim split. So, the swim will look like it took longer than it actually did. After the swim, it was like a quarter of a mile run just to get to the bike, so I'm sure that transistion time is going to look a bit skewed as well.

The bike was incredible. I love my new bike! Thanks again mom and dad! I felt almost like I was cheating. It literally shaved 10 minutes off my time, because when I was done with the bike, I didn't feel like I couldn't move, I felt that the run was actually doable. And it was. I only walked a bit on the run, and that was at a hydration station because I wanted to get some sports drink in me (salty sweater, remember?) and I haven't yet mastered running and drinking yet. I can barely walk and chew gum, so running and doing anything is a mystery.

My overall time was about 1hr 42 or 43 minutes, I haven't gotten my official time yet. I felt awesome afterwards and even made it to book club that night. I think I did just the right amount of prerace fueling with protein bars and carbs etc., and hydrating the right way. I also burned 1330 calories in the process, so I didn't feel bad about eating all of the Chex party mix at book club that night!

I think I'm ready for my next race...who's with me?

No comments: