Thursday, December 04, 2008

Thanks, I'm Full


On Thanksgiving morning I wanted to do a good thing. I decided it would be a good idea to run a 5k. The entry fee was canned goods to benefit the local food pantry. Roughly 300 fellow do gooders joined in my fun. And by fun I mean frozen toes running on slippery snow piles on slipperier crushed limestone.
Before the race started I seriously thought
a.) I freaking hate the cold. Why the hell am I here?
b.) If I left now, no one would ever know, and I've already given my bag of canned goods to the food pantry. Good deed done. Why freeze my tata's off?
c.) It is seriously freaking cold. (It was like, 28 degrees at 8 a.m.). Where is my electric blanket when I need it?
After the race I thought:
A.) I'm kickass. Bring on the turkey.
B.) I seriously know why I don't run outside until March.
I read that morning that the average American Thanksgiving dinner is 3,000 (YES THOUSAND) calories, and I decided to be honest with myself. I don't particularly care too much for traditional Thanksgivingy foods, like mashed potatoes (yuck), sweet potatoes (double yuck) or pecan or pumpkin pie (Gag). I usually just eat the turkey and some fresh cranberry relish my mom makes. Most of my alotted 3,000 calories comes from my booze consumption. I could elaborate on that, but those of you who know me don't really need me to. Suffice it to say, I tend to enjoy the holidays and I don't even have to involve food.
I'm thankful for lots this year, but mostly, that God has a sense of humor, plagued me with what I thought were awful roids, and instead I got a precancerous nugget removed from my bowels. Being a 34 year old woman with cancer would not have been cool in a couple of years. What a downer. I have learned however, not to doubt the mystery that is God. There have been little lessons heaped on me daily, and I'm just now stopping to smell the roses and learn from them.
That's my biggest Thanks. What's yours?

1 comment:

Keri Speidel said...

ummm, mashed potatoes punk.