Sunday, August 19, 2007

Birthday Blues

For those of you who don't know, my BABY turned ONE on the 15th. As we had a party with over 65 guests yesterday, her lame-o parents opted not to buy her a gift, see what she got, and then go get something that didn't have a body double. I have dealt with my baby getting old by focusing on her party, and all the micromanagement details of our lives here. I haven't posted anything on it, because it is so, so hard. I haven't had my traditional "My baby is one, and I have to look at all the pictures taken in the last 12 months and mourn" phase. Maybe because half those pictures are gone. Maybe because I am in denial that this sweet, sweet part of my life is over. Anyway....

We have yet to go get anything, but maybe we'll just contribute to her college fund instead, though how she'll even get into college when she doesn't yet know her ABC's I don't know (ever notice how EVERY toy out is a learning toy??? For crying out loud, even a hunk of wood will sing ABC's and count from one to a bazillion if a battery can be inserted somewhere).

Yesterday was her big day, and we had the perfect day for a party. It was about 63 degrees and rainy, and we were anticipating the aforementioned HUGE crowd.

John and I brilliantly came up with a plan to put a tent up in front of the garage, put up 3 sides of the tent, move all living room and "adult" kitchen furniture to the carpeted living/dining rooms, put up tables in the kitchen/family rooms that have hardwood floors, and set up the inflatable bouncer in the basement for the kids.

However, our problems could have been worse. As it was, the biggest problem we faced on a rainy day is that we had TOO many close friends (Holla GERMANS!) and family who care enough about our daughter and our family to trek to our house in the rain and get their drink on. We are truly, truly blessed with friends who care enough to help out when needed, bring in food, and just pass a glass of wine to me without even bothering to ask if I needed it because they know that I did.

We are blessed with who we chose as Madilynn's Godparent's, as of course they spoiled her and did a pretty damn good job of documenting the event, since I was the host and couldn't enjoy it too much. Words can never express what this friendship means to me.

A close friend who lives nearby came over Sat. morning without question to pick up the boys to play at her house while we completely rearranged the garage and rest of the house. That is love, and the best kind. We have the best friends anyone could ask for, and only can hope that they know we would gladly return any favors!!! (Not the least of which was Thursday when my kick ass brother came up to watch the kids so that I could clean, and my Gal Pal Cheryl brought me some Cafe Mocha. That folks, is true friendship, and sibling love to boot).

It takes a long time in this life to discover who you really are. You have friends growing up that shape who you are, and the kind of person you either become, or want to be. My oldest friends are from college, and I am lucky to have found subsequent "mommy friends" who accept me for being me, and love me for who I am. And whom I can also bounce parenting ideas off of without being judged. Because, if you're judging me, I don't want you around...I'm not judging anyone (okay, except for Britney Spears, but she's crazy, she's not my friend, her parenting skills suck, and I am just a LITTLE teensy jealous that she not only has people cleaning up her house after 2 boys ransack everything, BUT she gets to PARTY. A Lot. Judgement made).

But really. Thanks to all of our friends and family, especially those that are not blood related, but love us because you choose to, not have to. Maddie had a great birthday because of you.

No comments: