Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Saga Continues...

After speaking with a good friend yesterday after Maddie's blood draw, I began to freak out. Actually, she freaked me out. What if due to her adhesion Maddie can't pee all the way and stuff has been getting backed up into her kidneys, or renal tubes? What if because I didn't know better I damaged her for life? Why has no Doc. thought to look into this?

She wound up calling her doc, only because she felt bad about freaking me out and they couldn't believe what happened, so I went there today for a second opinion. Apparently, the labial adhesion would almost prevent a bladder/kidney infection because she is so closed up nothing is getting past the barrier, so everything is essentially coming out clean. What worried the doc at this point was the high fever coupled with the high white blood cell count and no real answers, no ear infection, no cold like symptoms, etc.

So, we put a bag on M. to get a urine culture, but she was uncooperative and didn't pee until I'm sure 5 seconds after we took that bag off and walked out the door.

However, Doc is sending us tomorrow for a renal ultrasound to ensure that there is nothing "anatomically abnormal' which would cause a bladder/kidney or UT infection. And based on the other things going on (fever, et al) there was a rampant infection in her body somewhere caused by something. An abnormality....This could be tube twisting, blockage, etc. My gut says Maddie is just fine, but it feels good just to be sure. In 2 weeks we're going to run a urine culture to get a good reading on if everything is "cleaned out" so to speak.

So, for now, I'll just drink a beer and not think about tomorrow. Actually, the most daunting part of tomorrow is the 1 hr. 9 minute drive to the hospital I need to go to to take care of this, but we do what we do cuz we love them, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you need any help!! Or a beer run:)

Darlene