Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Never A Dull Moment

I don't think you can get any more tired than I am right at this moment. Really.

Friday, Nate started a fever...it continued off and on all weekend, spiking as high as 102 +. Same thing with Maddie, but when her fever spiked 104.3 Sunday night I was so afraid of febrile seizures that I packed up both kids and ran to the hospital.

There, we discovered that the children, will in fact, survive. Nate has Sinusitis, or better put, a runny nose.

Next Kid: She's a little more messed up. Because her fever was so high Doc wanted a urinalysis and blood draw done. Blood Draw turned up a really hight white blood cell count, low iron, and borderline dehydration. Had Nate not been there sick with me, they said they may have kept her for observation.

Urinalyisis was a completely different issue, as they couldn't do one. Doc wanted a straight catheter put in, but the Nurse couldn't do it, because as we found out, Maddie has a "labial adhesion". This basically means her labia are "adhered together" and she may or may not have been born this way, but the bottom line is that kids who have this issue are more prone to Urinary Tract infections. So this poor baby could have been pissing fire for MONTHS and we never knew (how could we?) The mommy guilt of not realizing this sooner, is of course in full swing. I was assured however, this has nothing to do with cleanliness, it's most likely a hormonal issue.

On top of this, I didn't here the full word "adhesion". I heard "esion" and in my exhausted, frantic mommy state translated it into "lesions' and immediately was expecting a visit from DCFS because hospital staff thinks I hurt my baby.

Thank God her fever came down in the hospital, otherwise they were going to insert a needle thru her pubic area straight into the bladder to get a urine sample. All I could picture was an amniocentisis type needle plunging foot long into my poor baby. Needless to say, it was a long ride home.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that even if an ER visit wasn't really warranted, it's worth the money to find out about her issues "down there" because we would have NEVER known. I have 2 boys, their parts are easily identifiable for crying out loud!

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Oh Jen!! I can't believe your luck sometimes! It is a wonderful thing that you were smart enough to take your kids to the ER. Because you never know. And like you said you were able to find out more about Maddie. Good for you guys. I am sure that adhesion is much easier to take than lesion, nobody likes that word! Get some sleep if you can!
love, Julianne