Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Perfect Prone

Yesterday while I was at work getting therapy for my pelvic floor dysfunction and the fact that when I went to do a situps machine at the gym I literally felt my pubic symphysis bone shift and grind and move around (which by the way is EXTREMELY painful), a pediatric physical therapist who totally rocks, walked in, looked at Maddie, and said "What a beautiful prone position! Look at how strong she is pushing up. It's just beautiful!"

For those of you who are not PT's, OT's, Speechies, or DT's prone position is how you put a baby down for "Tummy Time". It was actually very funny that she was on her belly, when another therapist (a Speechie checking out if Nate needs an eval) walked in and said, "You know it's a therapist's kid. She put her right on her belly." Yup, I'm a therapist and my kid has perfectly beautiful prone positioning.

On to Nate. I'm still debating whether or not to get him a speech eval. My good friend came in to do a quick check on him and in 5 minutes he didn't say a word to her. I went through his list of words for her, reassuring that I'm not the kind of mom who would want him to look better than her is. But I still forgot some. He's got: Mama, moma (trying to say Oma, but it counts as a word in the speech world), Doc (jack), Ka(sock), Hot, Are you (as in "Jack, where are you" when we drop him off at school), more, milk, please, car, car noises (Vroom), cookie, juice, hot dog (which really sounds like Hk dg, but again, still counts) and yesterday at dinner when I was singing Old MacDonald, he totally knew the sounds for cow, pig, duck, and rooster.

My instincts tell me he's okay, but he's an ear infection kid, and I don't want to over look anything. Also a part of me is hating myself for comparing him to his brother who was speaking in complete sentences at this point in his development. But of course I'd compare them, right? Jack's my baseline, but he's a pretty high standard setting baseline so I'll just have to consider the whole speech eval thing a bit longer.....

No comments: