Monday, January 15, 2007

Insomnia

As of late, I am wondering if a 3 year old can be an insomniac, as the one I currently reside with is NOT sleeping. He is up and out of the starting gates between 5:30/6 a.m., not napping (even after swim lessons) and when put to bed between 7 and 8 p.m., he will toss and turn forcing himself not to relax and sleep.

Saturday he was up until 11. That's 3-4 hours of being in bed, being yelled at to stay in bed, and being threatened beyond all things "special" to stay in bed. John and I were trying to sleep, and this kid was still up ready to party.

Thursday morning he woke at 1:30 and did not sleep until bedtime at 8:00. I am not kidding.

Now, I have consulted the Dr. on this. He has no advise because, as I informed him, I have a solid bedtime routine. Throughout the day, I've tried: No nap, early nap, late nap, shorter nap, longer nap, earlier bed, later bed, timers/alarm clocks, busy activities (ie: swimming which wears out any other normal kid). I've tried diet modifications, going organic, no juice (which they don't get anyway) and no sugar or sugar like foods after 4 p.m.

So, if anyone has any enlightening ideas, I'd love to hear them, and mom, Tylenol did not work. I even tried that. So, help would be nice.

Thanks.

2 comments:

jen said...

The nanny method helped me with Julia. She had some interesting suggestions. I was amazed on how quickly it worked. So tape or TiVo an episode.
hope all is well otherwise.
xoxo
Jen

Anonymous said...

I nannied Olivia's ass too! Just boring old consistency eventually worked. I am so sorry that you are going through this. If people aren't sleeping than everything is thrown off!