Wednesday, December 20, 2006

More Grandma-isms


You know it's a going to be a great day when a classic Grandma-ism is uttered by one of the 6 year olds you work with. This happened to me on Saturday.

I was helping the kids do a puzzle, but told them to switch a couple of pieces because they were "jazzed up". The kids said, "Yah, Miss Jen, it's sorta all jazzed up." This was one of those "you touch more lives than you know" moments. Grandma will never know the kid, but the kid will always have Grandma's phrase to use at will.

I originally thought the phrase "jazzed up" came from my dad, but he gives credit to Grandma, so there you go. If we're talking phrases my dad made up, I think my favorite of his happens to get used when something is broken. When said item is broken, it "took a shit" figuratively speaking. As in, "We need a new dishwasher, our old one got jazzed up and took a shit."

Grandma does have other good phrases though. I personally love the term "crap-shit". This term is to be used liberally over the holiday season, as in: "Look at all the crap-shit that's on sale at Walmart." I am sure that 90% of my kids gifts from Santa and others will be crap-shit as well. Say it out loud, it just makes you smile. Double entendre or not, crap-shit is just fun.

The last Grandma-ism for the day is "Dorky-dork". I enjoyed this term this past Thanksgiving when she refered to my dad as a dorky-dork. Not only is he a dork (a term not used enough past the 70's for sure), but he's also dorky on top of that. The man who still ownes and wears a pair of Bear's Zubaz pants is indeed, a "Dorky-dork".

Feel free to use any of the above. Somehow someday they'll make it into Webster's. Hey, you never know.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best grandma-ism... "Here we go again." As we are headed through a tornado.. and John's reply to this... "Jen, when did we do this before?"

jen said...

I like the term "jazzed up" I think it is more effective when it was used with the "took a shit" though. I will now be looking for the opportunity to use "...Jazed up and took a shit" I'm sure I can find many opportunities in the goings ons here at the Klemm house. Thank God for Grandmas!