Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Really, I Have No Problems, and Honestly, Neither Do You




When writing this blog, I have been many things. I have been witty, charming, salacious, egregious, tired, complaining, real, and always tongue in cheek. Today, I am serious. And lengthy. Be prepared.


I'm going to make a long story short. I work with a woman, under the age of 40. She has 2 young kids, maybe 7 and 9 years old, along those lines. Three weeks ago she was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer. Last Thursday, she found out the cancer has metastisized into her lungs, and is now considered a Stage 4. I do not need to extrapolate and point out what this means for her, her family, and anyone who knows her. I myself am not super best friends with her, we are coworkers and since I work on Saturdays, and she works other days, I don't ever see her. I do, however have a tremendous amount of respect for her, and have enjoyed any interactions I've had with her over the past five years.
She works out feverishly, with Yoga, and Pilates. She eats only organic, healthy food. She works hard and up until recently was fairly healthy. And now....well, and now.
She is keeping a blog via the Caring Bridge website, and be prepared with an entire box of tissue if you read what she writes. Her spirit is amazing, as she ends every entry with a "What I learned today" segment. If you have a chance check it out, and if you can, offer support. She blatantly asks for prayers from anyone and everyone, whether she knows you or not, in the hopes that God will answer someone.
I think what gets me the most about this entire situation is how close to home it hits. It could be anyone, me, any one of my friends, or any one of my relatives. Sure my grandma had breast cancer, and her sister died from it. In my mind, my great-aunt went thru it in the 70's and didn't have treatment options, and my grandma is old. Old people get sick. Insert now the fact that my dad's sister is a survivor...not so old anymore. Recent treatment options...Insert now my dad's buddy's wife had a double mastectomy before 40...Insert my good friend from Book Club, who is also a survivor, and her youngest daughter is in maybe 3rd grade??? Insert a young woman with 2 kids and again under 40 and my previous ignorance regarding my aforementioned and since revised thoughts on "Breast Cancer and Who Is At Risk" gets a swift kick in the ass.
I hear these stories, I see these women flourish, and I really have to think I don't have so very many problems in this life. I am blessed.
I also feel and hear a small calling to do what I can to support these amazing people. I will continue to do my Danskin Triathlons to raise money for breast cancer, and beyond that, whatever I can on a personal level. Maybe this is part of my purpose in life, I don't know. But I'll do my best to help erradicate this disease, because while we all have our soap boxes, we all also know someone affected by breast cancer. It's not some weird rare disease. It has become, unfortunately for most, a simple fact of life.
And I for one, would like that to change.

2 comments:

jen said...

Amen to that. My problems don't hold a candle to the brave and strong women that are facing such an uphill battle. My prayers go out to each and every one of them. I for one can not run a marathon,a triatholon or around the block, but anything else I can do to help out count me in. This is every womans problem, and anything less than a cure is unacceptable.
Jen

Keri Speidel said...

So true, we have nothing to complain about compared with some. I had a breast cancer scare but nothing even remotely compared to this. Breast cancer touches our lives no matter how old or who we are. Lots of prayers for her and her family.