Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ode to Absentee Parenting

Sunday I took the kids to my moms right after church. I did a total dump n run, ran to the winery, and headed home. I was hoping John would have cleaned the master bathroom for me, but no, he made beer instead. Sigh...nobody's perfect.

We had such a great time though. We haven't been alone together with nothing to do in way too long. I decided that the bathroom can stay dirty, and since it was 85 degrees out, we went on a bikeride, and hiked thru some nature, about a mile or two from the house. I spotted a small snake crossing out path, a few deer, and some praying mantisis. John was being eaten alive by mosquitos.

It is the only time in my life I'm grateful to be a chronic anemic. Skeeters don't bother me. They must know my blood is no good.

We got home and went out to dinner. Just burgers, and beer, and kid free. We came home and walked through our neighborhood, which is totally decorated for Halloween. If this is how the neighbors do what I consider a low grade holiday like Halloween, I can't wait for Christmas. I can't wait for Christmas anyway, but throw in a decorating gung ho subdivision, and I have found my bliss.

We came home after our walk, and literally crashed. He went to work at 4 the next morning, but it was so nice not to have to get up in the middle of the night to put a crabby kid back in their own bed, or lay down with another one who heard a noise and is scared, or what have you. Heck, it was nice just to get up and go to work. I had no one to get ready but me, and that was so awesome.

Today, we're back into the grind. Morning preschool, rush to speech, rush home, eat lunch, rush back to get Jack to school, go back to school (usually have to wake someone up from a nap), and pick up market day. Somehow in all my crazy schedule I'm supposed to make meals and keep house. I'm still figuring that part out. I COULD cut something out, but what? The choices are speech and school, and I think they're both pretty madatory at this point. Grr...

Here are some phun photos of the kids just being kids. Even when I'm crabby and tired of cleaning up after them. They're still pretty fun to be around.


1 comment:

Keri Speidel said...

...is he showing us his man boobs? :) Good for you for putting cleaning on hold to spend time with the hubby. You rock. I want to try some of his homemade beer someday....it intrigues me.