Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day Jitters Exposed

I have been asked how Jack's first day at school went, and all I can say is I feel robbed. Totally and completely, because I didn't even get to acknowledge the sadness. I saw one of his classmates' parents when we did the first day drop off, and she had a fantastic case of the sniffles as she watched her daughter exit the bus. I was not so lucky.

We started out the day happy, excited, and wanting to leave by 10 a.m. for school that started at 12:45. It was raining early on, a pure reflection of my mood.

Here we are to begin our day.


Showing off our new Jedi backpack.

Throwing down some signs. He dressed himself in a nice polo and khaki shorts, just like daddy wears to work.
Don't the little ones look thrilled? Nate got dressed up because he thought he got to go to school too.

Uh oh. Here it is. Notice the face. This is in the hallway waiting to go in to his class. This is about 3 seconds before he lost it. HE WAS THE ONLY FREAKING KID WHO CRIED! It was really sad too because it was just a total release of pentup emotion. Thus, my feeling I was robbed, because I HAD to hold it together, or it would have been ten times worse. I hugged him for about a minute, and then sent him on his merry way with the aide who had to literally pry him off of me. It was horrible.


Here's the progression: Moments before sitting and getting into the above fiercely trying to hold in emotion pose.


Look! Moments before getting into the builiding. Running. Happy.

Moments before running into the building...smiling outside by the sign. Sigh...


The conclusion to the story is a good one though. He left happy, and went eagerly into school the following day, so he's over his jitters. I was also lucky enough to be able to check on him during the first day because Nate had a speech eval ten minutes after school started and I had to walk right past the kindergarten rooms. Jack was fine.

Today is day three for Jack, meet the teacher for Nate. Nate cried when I left him at Sunday School yesterday. Let's keep our fingers crossed for him this week, shall we?

2 comments:

Weiss Women said...

You did great Jen! Good for you! I hope the next couple of days go easier for Jack. He is a great kid and will find his place in class! It must have made you feel better to know just minutes later that he was doing better. Gwyn pitches a pretty good fit on Sunday's about 75% of the time. I can hear her quit yelling by the time I am down the hall. Always makes me feel better to know she quit! Keep us posted! Love, J

Keri Speidel said...

Two high fives for you. I would be sobbing uncontrollably ( I know I spelled that wrong..poop) Soon he'll be begging you to go to school. Good job!!