Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Yes, I DO have a Sports Related injury!

After my 5k race on Sunday for Pediatric Cancer foundation, I was completely unable to walk, and my heel was slightly swollen. I've been limping since June, and I made an emergency appt. yesterday with a podiatrist. That's the beauty of a PPO, you decide you need a Doc, and whammo! You just get to go, no foolin' with the general practitioner who would have probably either said, "your fine, take some advil", OR "Go see a Podiatrist". All I did was cut out the middle man.

In any case, I have a case of "plantar fascitis". A riveting explanation can be found here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508/DSECTION=1

According to my doc, it can take up to 8 or 10 MONTHS to heal. For the next 2 weeks I cannot be without shoes, and anytime I sit for more than 5 minutes I have to do the alphabet exercises. That is, I write the ABC's with my foot. I asked the Doc if I should do upper or lower case. She kinda chuckled and said it didn't matter, so I didn't continue with my other 2 questions: Zaner Blozer (ball and stick) or D'Nealean? Cursive ABC's, or just Print?

I am also in a sort of foot wrap splint thingy, and am not allowed to run again until I get new shoes.

I keep telling John this is very clearly a sports related injury. Then he claims running isn't really a sport, so me, his completely unathletic wife cannot possibly have a sports related injury.

Fine, then, it's a kids related injury. I can't take care of 'em. Get the nanny to run them to school, music class, Karate, the grocery store, Dr. appts., dentist appts., etc, etc, etc. Because this injury can also be caused by being on my feet too much.

Funny sidebar here: Nurse asked about what percentage of my day I am on my feet. That is a LOADED question. I'm on my feet all damn day lady, I've got 3 kids!

Oh, but I got to sit for 5 minutes and write my blog...now off to do my foot writing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I to had this awhile ago and ended up getting cortizon shots!! It really really helped. They went away about a year later.

Darlene

jen said...

Joey has been dealing with this for a while now. He has special shoe inserts and has had cortisone shots too. The plantar faciwhatever is getting better, but the overcompensation on the other muscles in his foot and ancles has created other problems! So if this gets worse or if it doesn't go away you should try the cortisone shots! He, of course, waited WAAAAYYYY too long! What a man. He is now upstairs making an appt. with his podiatrist.
Oh and tell John he can kiss my ass... running is too a sport. It takes more mental and physical endurance than any other athletic activity. I'd like to see if those baseball fuck-nuts making millions can run a marathon. I don't think so and if they can they are one of few. Either way, sports related or mom related, you still work your ass off and deserve some recognition and some cuddos! According to Joe Plantar faciwhatever hurts like a mofo and if you are still doing all that you do then BRAVO sister!
Jen