Wednesday, October 24, 2007

OMAHA!

We are back from our 5 day journey into America's heartland. It was a 9 hour drive, give or take a few minutes, and it was all wonderful! I've been getting a lot of flak about taking 3 kids on a 9 hour car ride by myself, but it was really no biggie. In fact, I actually really enjoyed it, because for 9 hours, I didn't have to do ANYTHING but sit on my butt and drive. The kids watched dvd's in the back, and slept and ate twizzlers and juice boxes. I listened to book on tape. There is nothing that clears your mind more than a drive thru the country.

Omaha is a pretty cool city too. It's very spread out and open, and clean. Someday, maybe I'll go back! (If we didn't scare our hosts too badly, since my freakshow kids were up every day at around 5/5:15.) We had a pretty wild girls night out when we got there...We spent a couple hours in the Urgent Care Center, thanks to Nate popping a fever and an ear infection. 2 doses of antibiotic though, and he was golden!


Thursday we visited the zoo. http://www.omahazoo.com/

It is a fabulous zoo, and almost worth the 9 hour drive in and of itself. We spent a couple of hours there and didn't even see 1/3 of it. Since it was raining we hung out inside.
Here's Jack, Nate, and Olivia in the Namibian desert. You can literally touch the plants and things (if you are inclined and crazy) and the animals are very close up to you. I just found it funny to take pics of the kids in hats and coats in the desert....






This is Nate and I in the aquarium. I think he had just fallen and hit his head. Surprise. The structure behind us is an O! It is the art symbol thingy of Omaha, much like the Chicago cows were a few years ago. The aquarium at the zoo was one of those HUGE tanks where you walk in and watch the sharks and other marine life swim on either side of you, and even over your head. I don't know why I didn't take more photos. Probably due to keeping track of all 3 kids!

Friday, Olivia had a field trip, so we accompanied her to Vala's Pumpkin Patch. http://www.valaspumpkinpatch.com/index.html

This pumpkin patch was amazing. Julianne informed me that they are only open in October and take in a cool $24 milion. That is the enormity of this thing. Oh, and admission into the place pretty much includes everything (except the train ride and pumpkins).

Here are Nate and Gwyn on these really cool 'bouncy pillows'. They had a blast!

Here are all the kids minus Nate and Gwyn posing with everyone's favorite guy.


She's so sweet and cute and had a great time.
Friday night, some of Julianne's Friends came over and we did art projects, and ate from a delicious little novelty, the Chocolate Fountain. I have decided I need one of these of my very own, maybe for Christmas. I've seen them at weddings for a few years now, and that kinda grosses me out, especially when you see 'double dippers'. However, 4 women in a kitchen gabbing while dipping is a great bonding experience. You should try it sometime!

On Saturday we saw Go Diego Go! Live. I didn't take any photos, again, dealing with Crabby Jack and making sure the other 2 didn't walk and wander away from our little clan. I thought Maddie was going to be a handful, but she couldn't get enough of the live show. Jack got really into it and interacted when he was told to, and Nate sat with his thumb in his mouth the entire time, just staring. I think he was trying to figure out the stage, and if it was really some gigantic tv. In any case, my children LOVED live theater, and I can't wait to take them to do and see more.

It was a really awesome trip. I felt like a bad guest, since Juli wouldn't really let me help clean or cook. I still helped unload the dishwasher once or twice, but compared to everything else, that was nothing. I'm pretty sure we left the basement a mess, and I left behind my hair conditioner and body soap (Julz, it never touched my actual body, just the washrag, so use it if you can). But, what we took away with us was soooo priceless.

Oh yah, Julz, I think I "stole" one of our art projects. Somehow I have 2 pumpkin thingies. I should send it to you....

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

You weren't supposed to tell people I made you do Halloween art projects!! It makes me look so UNCOOL! :) I am glad you have 2 of them. Give one of them to Darlene. We had such a good time! The kids miss you guys! I was offended that you even tried to empty my dishwasher, you were on A cashun! We can't wait until you come back! Can't Wait!