Thursday, January 14, 2010

When Fraggles Do Antibiotics

Looong story short. Maddie gets cold. Cold gets worse. Snot changes colors. Cough sounds like chest rattling. Doc gives drugs. We hit the local CVS to fill script aaaand....

(BTW, doesn't Maddie sort of resemble that Fraggle with the Piggie Tails?)

The pharamcist calls me over and politely says, "Excuse me ma'am. But this dosage of medicine is really, really low for someone her age. What is she being treated for?"

"Well, something bronchial-ish". I was not sure how to answer. I really really liked the PA we saw today and didn't want to have a pharmacist rain on my PA parade.

And then I had a brainstorm! " Oh! But I forgot! When they put her on the scale with all her clothes on she was just about almost 30 pounds."

At which point the pharmacist looked over at Maddie waiting by the all powerful and ever entertaining blood pressure cuff (do people with blood pressure issues EVER use those, or are they just totally abused by kids waiting for their drugs?) and then she said, "Oh yes. I see. She IS a bit skinny for someone her age."

Usually at this point I feel obligated to retort "She eats! I swear!" But I let it go. The PA gave her the right dosage for her weight, not age and so I'm fine with the world. Especially since they seem to be working.

And now onto Nate's icky croupy sounding cough....I though little ones outgrew croup???

2 comments:

gailiop said...

I miss the Fraggles!
I do think it's good that the pharmacist questioned the PA's instructions. At least they are paying attenion!

Good luck with Cold and Flu season. We are getting hit really hard with it here at our house!

Keri Speidel said...

Dear Lord...don't get me started on croup. We're on round two here! I feel your croupy green snot filled pain.