Saturday, January 23, 2010

Vegan Lasagna With REAL DEAD Cow Meat Gets Rated as "Coulda Been Worse"

Long story short, Thursday I get a call from my dad that went something like this:

Me: "Hello"
Dad:"What the hell! Are you TRYING to kill my grandkids?"
Me: "What? No! Why?"
Dad: "Have you ever actually seen a vegetarian? They look like an ad for death!"
Me: "Well, good thing we're not vegetarians. I am using REAL meat after all".
Dad: "Send the kids over. I'll feed 'em right".

At this point I could only sigh, because John was sitting on the couch laughing and agreeing with my dad. I'm pretty sure there are precious few things they BOTH agree on wholeheartedly, other than my cooking. Dad likes his meat and taters and John just likes his meals to not be so weird. I do have to give my husband props though. He is fun to cook for, because he is like a carp. He'll eat anything. ANYTHING. Especially if he can put hot sauce on it.

That night I was making the Vegan Lasagna, using tofu instead of ricotta cheese. You make your own sauce and everything. And you know what? The sauce was DAMN good. Fresh canned tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic, I like how they taste), an entire onion, the equivalent of 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, a teensy bit of hot sauce and some red wine, among other things. I swear- it was a delish dish. And yet, even with the hot sauce my husband thought it was bland, but we can't help his slight low tone and under reactive taste buds, but I won't go into that.

The lasagna itself wasn't bad. In fact, we had some leftovers, and the entire 9X13 pan has been eaten and presumably digested at this point. Jack ate a few helpings, which made me feel good, because this is definitely something I can make for a family function for him (and others, right dad?) to eat. Nathan thought it was poison, but that is status quo for anything other than chips and candy, and Maddie hates red sauce on anything in general, so John was the real judge, and his honest opinion was, "Coulda Been Worse".

Well then sir, I consider that a 'thumbs UP!!!"

No comments: