Thursday, January 21, 2010

On A Sliding Scale of 1-10, The Vegan Breakfast Rates a Minus 12

I was pretty gung ho this morning. I made a Vegan Breakfast Sandwich for the kids, except instead of using meat free meat, I used turkey bacon. I like turkey bacon.

I think if I reprint the actual recipe it's some sort of plagiarizing, so suffice it to say it included frying some tofu blocks in coconut oil, topping it with cheese, and making a McVegan Sammich. The pepperjack rice cheese was actually pretty yummy, and melted well, so that was a plus. The rest of it...well...the kids unanimously voted that they 'didn't like my new chicken'.

John found all my new ingredients, and reading them aloud in utter despair while eating a tofu sandwich topped with fake cheese and real turkey bacon could only sigh, shake his head and wonder aloud (and I quote), "Where have I gone wrong? What did we do to you to deserve this? What? Can I fix it? His allergy isn't even THAT bad. It might even be a made up fake allergy!" I shrugged and told him to get onboard baby, cuz it's vegan lasagna tonight, complete with rice noodles and REAL ground beef. This book has a recipe for using marinated tofu for your 'ricotta' replacement.

I'm crossing my fingers. Crossing....crossing my toes, crossing my eyes this turns out okay, because I can't live on tacos and spaghetti my whole life. I mean, come on.

So wish me a buon apetit! Until tomorrow's adventures in Fake Cheese Land....

No comments: