Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Negative Calories...the Vegan Way

Last night I made oven fried chicken, potato skins, and plain Jane broccoli for dinner. The 'meat' is supposed to be seitan, but, well, we eat real chicken here. The breading for it was really really good too, it consisted of panko crumbs, some chicken buillion (which I probably didn't need, I think you're supposed to use that if you use a block of tofu in place of meat), some paprika, and some cayenne. And salt, but I'm pretty sure I mismeasured and definitely used too much salt.

The potato skins were good and crunchy because I rubbed them with coconut oil before baking them. However, the kids didn't quite understand the concept of eating potato skins, so they ate all the good stuff out of the middle. That being said, we're having mashed potatoes for dinner tonight, since I have a lot of potato meat left.

Crazy as it seems, everyone ate their broccoli. Even John who has a serious aversion to all things green and healthy. I think he was scarred as a child from eating broccoli smothered with Cheeze Whiz. Something about that combo turned him off, but he WILL eat broccoli on occasion...especially if it's plain.

During the meal, John decided to open a bottle of wine and dump about half a bottle of hot sauce onto his plate, because as he says, "Every little bit helps when you eat this stuff". And then he asked me if the entire meal was costing him even 600 calories. Uhhh...I dunno...how much sour cream did you put on your skins (I did give him and the kids the option of regular sour cream, but I do have Vegan/dairy free for Jack).

In the end, the meal itself wasn't bad. Just very very healthy. I do have to say that honestly I enjoy clean eating. I'm not so very fond of the price tag that comes with it initially, but a few extra dollars at the grocery store now could prevent a hefty bill later if I have a heart attack and need to be hospitalized, right?

That being said, I'm not even going to touch on my husband's comments regarding the "Back to Nature" cookies http://backtonaturefoods.com/default.aspx I bought.

Or the fact that he literally ripped the lid off the packaging and started eating it, telling the kids that cardboard tastes just as good as these cookies.....

No comments: