Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cuz I Wanna Be A 'Skinny Bitch'....Sorta

I have bought a new cookbook, which if you know me is no surprise. I'm sort of addicted to cookbooks. This time, the culprit is "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch", from those divine authors of the Skinny Bitch series. You can find more detailed info here: http://www.skinnybitch.net/about.html

Note: If your kid can sound out the title of the book, you may want to hide it so they're not walking around going: Buh Ih Tuh CH....Buh Ih TCH....Buh ITCH....BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH and you have to have a serious sit down chat while secretly being proud of their phonetic progress.


Basically, while the kids were at the Planetarium with the inlaws on Saturday, John and I went to the bookstore. I can't remember what we were looking for, but I do know he pretty much got hives just from entering the store....that many books is a borderline traumatic stress experience for him. But I had fun browsing at least and when I came upon "Bitch" I had to have it. Why?

Weeeellllll.... there are LOADS of dairy/egg/mold free recipes. Okay, ALL recipes are mold free, but you get my point. It's basically a freaky vegan cookbook, but it's worded in such a way that makes the recipes a.) easy to follow and b.) not so weird I want to stop shaving my armpits and live in a peace loving commune. We currently have a rotating menu of about 5 things that Jack can really eat, so I'm always up for new ideas; except I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go all out Vegan...instead of 'fake' meat, I'll be sure to use what they refer to as "dead, rotting, decomposing flesh of carcasses." Sometimes we all need a bleu cheese burger with fried onions on top.....

And thus, so inspired, I went to Whole Foods and spent an exorbitant amount of money on items like: tamari sauce, polenta (in powder form), chickpea flower, firm and flimsy tofu (okay, it's not really called flimsy tofu, but still), whole wheat pastry flour, evaporated cane sugar, nutritional yeast flakes, rice syrup, and a buttload of coconut oil. They were all out of the Ener-G egg replacements that I needed. How dare they.

I will be sure to keep my eager audience aware of our Veganese progress. Or our Wanna be Veganese progress. Or even my own Wanna-Be Bitch progress....wait...too late on that one.

2 comments:

gailiop said...

Jen, a relative of mine just got the book "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone (yes from Clueless). Anyhow, she said the book is awesome. I haven't seen it myself but maybe that's another one with some ideas for ya...

Good luck! And I can't wait to read about the recipies!

Weiss Women said...

OMG so much work! I'm tired thinking about it. Keep us posted! And much luck to you and your kitchen! ;)