Sunday, March 01, 2009

If It Wasn't So Funny, It Would Be So. NOT. Funny

Okay, so before I get angry comments about what an awful person I am, I'm going to preface this entire story with the information that even the VICTIM in this scenario finds bits and pieces funny. That being said.....

Friday morning I was taking the kids from Maddie's ballet class to open gym and I get a call from John who fielded a call from my dad, something cryptic about my mom falling at work and going to the hospital.

Frantically I call dad and got the gist of the story being mom was watering her plants high up on her filing cabinet, the chair rolled and she fell, he'll call me with more later.

So, like you, I'm assuming my mom was standing on a chair, watering plants and she fell. Fabulous.

Fastforward a few hours. Mom has a Dx of a broken tailbone (OW!) and a broken ankle-even though my dad keeps trying to tell us her foot is broken (I'm pretty sure they argued about it at some point, but she's the one in the cast with an appt. for an orthopod, not him).

So, of course I ask mom what she needs, what happened, etc. And then I get the real story. She wasn't on a chair, she was on her TIP TOES and stepped back, and the chair behind her rolled, and ohmygodjenny it justhappened soooo fast! And then, "Well, I'm not STUPID, why would I stand on a chair?" Uhhhh...you know what ma, you should just tell people you were. It's a better story than, "Well, I was just standing there and well, I don't know what happened." Things happen fast in car accidents, not plant watering incidents.

Now, this is the funny part, but really only funny if you know my mom well. She is not very graceful. In fact, after she got her Wii fit, she called me shouting after a balance test, "How does this thing know Jenny?!!! HOW DOES IT KNOW I TRIP AND FALL WHEN WALKING??? How DOES IT KNOOOOWWW??"

So, while I'm NOT laughing that my mom is in A LOT of pain, I'm laughing at the circumstances, because this stuff only happens to her or in slapstick comedy movies. How do you fall and break your tailbone when you were just standing still?

My sister, to her credit has done a good job of heading down to help mom. I had a busy girls gone wild weekend, so John (God love him) voluntarily took the kids down to visit her, and even went so far as to have the kids pick out a balloon and card for her. He even remembered not to get her flowers because she is allergic. What a great guy! I myself was going to bring her dinner tonight but after I woke up from my morning nap (I'll explain in another post, really), mom told me not to come. She even told my sister not to come, so we'll be for sure seeing her in the next week and helping where we can.

For now, just send her good thoughts, and maybe a phone call. She'll be parked on the couch all week,I'm sure!

No comments: