Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Expo

1.5 miles in a pool
17 miles on a bike
3 miles of a run
and 1273 calories later I finished my first triathlon expo. The workout was great, and I learned a lot, mostly that serious athletes could probably laugh their way past me in my puny sprint races because a lot of the people there were training for marathons and ironmans.

Here's the craziest part though (which gives me hope)....I was by far one of the youngest people there out of a group of roughly 40 or so men and women. One lady at the expo booth actually asked me if I was there as part of the "Girls on the Run" program. Uh, no. That's for junior high through high school, right?

But seriously, it seems that the older you get, the more time you have to train because you don't have to build a workout schedule around the kids. Working out for an Ironman competition is seriously like a partime job, and even IF I wanted to (I don't) I couldn't do it. So, I'm setting my new goals to complete an Olympic distance tri sometime before I die. For now I'll stick with my sprints...that's a half mile swim, 12. something bike, and a 5k or 3 mile run. Training for this I can handle.

Yesterday in my8 hours at the gym, I also had a gait analyisis done by an orthopedic surgeon, and I am apparently fine. Not so fine with the extra 20 lbs the camera apparently added to my behind while the video tape was running. The doc was trying to tell me how I was doing footwork wise, and all I'm thinkin' was, "My gosh, look at that ASS! Crap. He just put it in Slo-mo...jiggle jiggle jiggle.." Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

I learned many many interesting things from the nutritionist as well. The most important was probably that a scale is really just a good measure of how hydrated you are. For example, weigh yourself before you workout. Then again after you workout. 95% of you weight loss is sweat. Also, since I am a salty sweater, I need to hydrate with sports drinks during races, NOT plain water. I'm going to have to read through the handouts again. They're VERY math and science like, so it will take a while for me to process.

In the meantime, the parental units came over for dinner tonight and dad fixed my bike computer so that I can map riding time, speed and distance.

This summer, I'm going to be a rockstar.

1 comment:

NYST8OM said...

Ok, how do you know if you're a salty sweater or is that a dumb question?
Do you do a gatorade or vitamin water? Very interesting--report more findings...GO JEN! Did they let you keep the video of your run?