Monday, July 14, 2008

Think Fast Before You Run!

The Race. Is Over. WHEW!

I've gotten a few e-mail inquiries about why I didn't blog about the race yesterday. I more than survived, and I finished strong, in less than 2 hours...my original goal a complete success. My swim was 16:15, bike 53 min and change, and the run we won't talk about. I needed to walk (my foot hurt and I had cramps) and drink some water. Out of nowhere, this woman came up and said, "Come on. You've been pacing me this whole race. Let's run together. Let's go." And we did.

I finished on a high, happy, proud, strong, and all woman! However, I think my body can't handle adrenaline rushes well, since I went to bed to 'rest' at about 5 p.m. as I was feeling nauseuous and the next thing I knew it was 6:00 this morning. I feel great, and I'm definitely doing this next year!

This is the sign Jack made me. It said, "Think Fast Before You Run!" and "I love you mom!". There were pictures of Supergirl on it, and someone tied to a rock. I'm glad THAT wasn't me, even though, if I'm perfectly honest, the first 1/2 minute of the swim scared the CRAP out of me, and that was the one event I felt strong in. Imagine 100 people plus bottlenecked into a small area of water, all their limbs, splashing and running into you. I almost hyperventilated, but breathed myself down, and got into open water and a good rhythm. It was smooth sailing from there.



I could have cropped this down (I'm in the running crowd in the pink) but wanted my fan base to get a good view of what it looks like at the finish line. It's a feeling words cannot describe.
Go Me!


Crossing the timing chip mat, where they announce everyone's name as they finish.

Me, the kids, and my awesome sign.

It was undeniably hard at the end, but I had my family and my good friends there supporting me. Even their little ones held signs that said "Girl Power!, and Jen had her "Run Asshole Run" sign. I am so honored to have such amazing support people. My mom, dad, bro, husband, kids, and everyone else kept me strong...just the thought of seeing them at the finish line was enough.

Hopefully I'll get more pics from my dad and Jen to post. Enjoy these for now, and before you think that I did a great job, keep in mind:
* There was a blind woman who did the race.
* Some woman, a survivor in her 70's did her swim, fell off her bike and was rushed to the hospital via paramedics, got 5 stitches, came back to the race and finished the run. It was the story of the day.
* A family, a woman in her 80's and her daughters all did the race together.
* A woman with a prosthetic leg did the race ( and probably beat my time).
* The winner of the race (overall) did the entire thing in 1 hr. 2 minutes.

And lastly, but not least, we ALL raised money for Breast Cancer research foundation. THAT is the most important thing to remember.

Happy Week all! Enjoy the weather, the day, and when you think you can't do something and want to give up, remember YOU CAN!

7 comments:

Weiss Women said...

Way to Go Jen! You are awesome! It was great to hear about the race. love,J

jen said...

One of the most moving experiences!! I am so proud of you. You are an inspiration to all of us stagnant humans! Congrats!!
Jen

Kim said...

Nice job! I'll be there next year with you. :) I get emotional thinking about it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not the writer you are but let me try to put into words mine and your fathers thougts. I've been to a lot of races but none as moving as this one. Your father was amazed. I can not tell you enough how proud we were of you or how much we love you. What an accomplishment! You worked hard and you didn't give up. We both had one of the best and proudest days of our lives. Thanks for being our daughter and we love you. You go girl. We can't wait until next year. Love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I was a little weepy reading all about it and when I spoke with your dad? Extremely proud and so are we. I knew you could do it! You gals are truely amazing.
What a life changing experience for you.
Love Aunt Eileen & Uncle Bob

Punky N Munky said...

OK, I am crying after reading your mom's comment!!!

Way to go! Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Jen!
You were great! We really enjoyed the "girl power" vibe of the race. Even Mike had a good time. I'm also glad were were able to find you (for a while, we all thought we missed you!) I was also amazed at how fast Jen K. could run! Congrats!!!
Kim