Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Inspirational Catalyst

With 4 days left to go before this triathlon thingy, I think I should fess up. I keep getting a lot of questions regarding the 'why' of me doing it. I can thank CeCe for that.

CeCe and I used to work together, she being the kindergarten teacher, me being the first grade teacher she always gave her worst case scenarios, because the other first grade teachers (save one) weren't very warm, fuzzy, or generally accepting of the 6 to 7 year old mentality. Not to mention, we did a lot of sensory based activities before we even realized they were really really good things to be doing, and we fought doing hard core curriculum all day long like true soldiers. Not that it helped, since we both are retired from that life. And I digress.

CeCe also has 3 kids, and pretty much had them in the same way I did...have a baby, 2 years later have another, 15 months later (for me 13) have another. In fact, her baby and Nate are the exact same age, to the day. So I know that whenever I need to know what to expect kid/sibling wise, she is my go to person.

Last year she was talking about doing this triathlon thingy and I was VERY interestd. She told me I needed to wait a year. Last year was not my year, since I was still breastfeeding at the time, and Maddie wasn't even a year old yet. I kept that in the back of my head, because she was right of course, and here I am a year later, ready to do this thing.

I'm thinking that after Sunday, it may be a bit anti-climactic, since I've been working so hard for those few hours, but I can always sign up to do the one in Lake Geneva, and I've decided that if I enjoy this race, I will do more next year, definitely.

The best parts about this particular race is that
A.) It raises money for breast cancer. We all know my family's dealings on both sides with that.
(By the way, you can still pledge, follow the web link at the bottom).

B.) Rumor on the streets is that my home girls are coming to spectate. I could not ask for a better system of support than my girlfriends. Truth be told, they are also planning on hitting up the nearby outlet malls too, but my hope is they will see me in this race, they will see all of the women in this race and subsequently be inspired to be a part of it. You can do it as a team, so not one person is doing everything...split it up gals! :-p At the very least, they are just going to be reminders the day of that race of the fact that I have made some very good decisions in my life regarding love and relationships.

I'm also semi-wondering who's going to be holding the margarita glass for me at the finish line?!

Check out the info here if you're planning on coming! (Or pledging!)
http://www.danskin.com/chicagogettingtorace.html

Until then, today's a swim day...better go train!

3 comments:

jen said...

I will try to have something for you at the end of this incredible accomplishment. YOu can count on the signage for sure though. I've already designed it in my head and I'm fixin' to get all the stuff for it today. hehe I can't wait. You know the web site says we are not to distract the runners from their focus, ya think that will be a problem? I will try not to be too disruptive, but no promises. I know you'll do great! You just keep reminding yourself to "run asshole run"!!
Love ya
Jen

Anonymous said...

Jen,
We really don't know each other. I link to your blog via Julianne's blog - I met her through our mutual friend Leslie. Anyhow, I have really been inspired and entertained while reading about your training for this triathalon. It sounds like you have a great support system and you obviously have an awesome will to succeed and conquer. I wish you the absolute best of luck. You will rock!

Weiss Women said...

I am so excited for you and this big weekend! I can't wait to hear all about it. I am glad that you will be done training when I come to stay with you. That way I can watch you drink wine and we can eat crappy food together! Good luck and enjoy yourself this weekend! All of your hard work is going to pay off!