Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fantastic News, Awful News, and Everything in Between

Our house lately has been a revolving door of kids, and I've loved every minute of it. After Julianne left last Thursday with her 2 girls, Jenny brought over KiKi (Nate's Katie) and Sammy while she took Julia to the dentist. Later that afternoon, 3 out of the 4 neighbor kids came over to utilize the bouncy house, set up in our living room and play. It's like the good old days where the only thing on a kid's agenda is that beautiful 4 letter word, "PLAY!"

Sunday was my cousin Erin's wedding shower at a really awesome Spanish Tapas restaurant, where, in fact John's cousin had his wedding last November! The food was so good it was totally worth the 1 and 1/2 hour drive. Maddie and I had a good time, and we found out my cousin Carey (sister of the bride) is expecting next February! How exciting for my aunt and uncle...weddings, babies....etc etc. Such good happy news, and I wish everyone the best of health and happiness, and minimal pregnancy related discomforts!

On the other side of the sliding scale, we found out yesterday that my maternal grandmother has cancer. Details at this point are sketchy to say the least, but as of this moment the thought is that her breast cancer 5 years ago never went away, and was masked by her cancer med 'rumidex' (sp?). Tumors have been growing in or near her lungs and when she was cleared of breast cancer last October she went off the meds and has had breathing problems ever since. All last winter it was thought to be bronchitis, then maybe pneumonia, then it became necessary to drain fluid from her pleural cavity just so she didn't suffocate.

Yesterday she was having surgery to put in a chest tube to drain said fluid (which has had 8 billion tests run on it), and to have her pleura "glued" (again, the sketchy details), but the docs went in and found rampant cancerous tumors. I do not know if they're in the breast, chest, or lungs, but hopefully I'll talk to her today and get more 411.
This is Grammies with a very sick Maddie at Christmas. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I have a feeling the road ahead of her is long and uphill.

1 comment:

M & M's Mom said...

Jen - I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. She and your family is in my prayers.