Tuesday, November 06, 2007

It's that time of year again....


Last Saturday on my way to work I got very excited when I realized that 93.9 "The Lite" had begun playing all Christmas Music, all the time. I drove in my heat defective car (as in there wasn't any) and drank my hot coffee and got all cozy with Bing.
Those who know me well are quite aware of my obsession with Christmas. I love EVERYTHING about Christmas. The movies-Does ANYTHING beat George Bailey?, The Music-Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, etc, The sights, the lights, the smells--Mmmmm a fresh pine in my living room and drinking spiced mulled wine, The fires in fireplaces, The drowsiness after the meal, the baking of the cookies with my grandmother, the desire to create happy memories for my kids to always remember,and really, people are just a tad bit NICER that time of year.
Some argue that Christmas is too commercialized. I disagree. Every holiday is commercialized, and really, it's only commercialized if you make it so. (By the way, I even love the Christmas ads and commercials and tree killing catalogues I get in my mailbox. I love going to the mall not for shopping,but to see the decorations, see people shopping and drinking Caribou Coffee and meeting the all American Icon the Mall Santa).
Nothing beats the feeling in the air at Christmas. You know you will get together with your family. You know you're going to hunker down while it snows outside and watch old Rudolph and Frosty specials with the kids. People actually act like they care about one another, and maybe, for a brief time, they actually do.
I'm not sure if I even totally believe the religious aspect of the Holiday. That's just something I continually struggle with. But I do believe that a couple thousand years ago, someone was born who walked the earth and taught us how to just love one another, and do it the best we can. And isn't THAT the true meaning of Christmas? How can you like any other holiday more, when this one asks for peace, love, and general kindness?
So, bring it on. Bring on the holidays. Bring on the Holiday Spirit and all that it entails. I'll be listening on Comcast to Christmas music and it will be on in the car from now until December 26th, and I will get melancholy as I do every year when it's all over, because I know people will be back to being their Grinchy selfish selves. Until the next year, November 1, when good ol Delilah starts playing Christmas music.
Ahhhh, oh the season has just begun. Thank Goodness. Merry Merry Merry!!!

No comments: