Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Happy 7th Birthday

He's Number One!!!! He's Number One!!! Soccer star, ready for action...my how you have improved!
This is what Cub Scouts is all about. Marshmallow Shooters at a campout. The raccoons certainly got their fill that night. I'm sure of it.




Dear Jack,


Today is June 9th, your birthday. You are 7, going on 27, because you know everything and you are the boss. Well, you try to be anyways. This year you have grown up so much. You can read now, and not just little words in easy to read books. You are reading street signs, and restaurant signs, and we've even taken turns reading Harry Potter books, and your father and I can no longer spell words to each other because you sound them out and can decipher what we are talking about. Though we love how smart you are, sometimes it's hard on us as parents.
You are a natural born swimmer. You hate being at the pool where I can see you, you find the shallow end boring, and so you gravitate to the death defying heights of the 3 meter board, and have even attempted to dive off of it. I think I may have had a mild heart attack.
You are the most creative child I have ever met. I love your "inventions" and your art drawings, and how you have rigged our outdoor playset to resemble an army battle field, complete with ropes and strategically placed weapons. You write stories both at home and at school that make me so proud. You are so, so good at math, and I thank your father's genes for that, because I can barely do second grade math, so don't ask me for any help next year. That's going to be your dad's job.
You have come so far in playing baseball and soccer, and now you want to try basketball. Well, you're tall and skinny, so you may have a chance, but not if my genetic coding has anything to say about it. I am not a natural born athlete by any means, so again, I'm hoping your dad can take over. But, you try hard at everything you do, because you want to be good and you want us to be proud, and you have succeeded at both.
You are kind, and sensitive, and deeply perceptive of things I wish you wouldn't be, but that's just for your own good and because I want to protect you. You have a handful of good friends and buddies that you pal around with and cause mischief with and I love that. Just please stay off the neighbors flower beds and stop shooting squirrles with your marshmallow gun (unless you're at Opa's, because the neighbors there wont call Child Protective Services on a negligent mother).
I hope you have a great 7th birthday. I'm glad you're mine, but I'm not so very glad about you growing up so fast. Tomorrow I will wake up and you'll be off to college, and if I did my job right you'll be gone from me for good, at least until you need your laundry done or a meal to inhale (most likely with the least amount of chewing necessary I might add).
So Happy Birthday Buddy Boy! I love you!



So proud of his new rollerblades that he got to wear for his RollerSkating party with his school friends. Nothing says Fun! And Oh Crap! quite like 15 2nd graders on wheels...some who knew what to do, and some who, uh, um...didn't.



Love those kicks!






Nate rollerskating. He doesn't like it much. It's a lot of work for him.




Oooohh, Happy Birthday Cuppy Cakes!





Oh yes she did put on skates and go around in circles. Not bad for a 3 year old. Not bad.







No comments: