Friday, June 18, 2010

The Good Samaritan


TuesdayI had a real life biblical experience. I'm not even kidding. The day started out just fine. I picked up Maddie's little girlfriend for a playdate, we went to the freebie show and saw "Flushed Away", the kids pretty much inhaled 2 buckets of popcorn, and then on the ride home I saw it.
3 boys were on bikes. Actually, 2 were off, with one bent over double and waking around as if in pain. And the cars just kept on driving by. So, since this kid was probably older than 12, but somewhere younger than driving age, AND he had that stupid long haired Justin Bieber hair do, I felt bad. So I pulled over and started asking questions. I felt all competent like, having been a former professional lifeguard, and now working loosely in the medical field, and I knew all the right questions to ask in a first aid situation. I took a look at his injured wrist that the kid couldn't even hold straight, much less have the strength to grip his handlebars on his bike, and I calmly asked him to call home. Being a manly man, he told his mom he fell and that he was fine. And then the Cop showed up.
The cop came over and asked if I had hit the kid. I was horrified. "No, Im just trying to help". She had to radio in that I did not in fact hit anyone. Which is REALLY what makes me mad, because she explained that someone called in, and called the fire truck and ambulance were on their way. Which means, someone drove by and INSTEAD OF STOPPING TO SEE IF ANYONE NEEDED HELP they just called the cops. Even if they assumed I HAD hit the kid, isn't it a decent thing to do to stop at the very least? Have we come so busy in our society, or so complacent that we can't even stop to help a young kid who potentially may have just been hit by a car? Trust me, it's a fairly busy road. At least a hundred cars passed us. And no one stopped but me, who apparently someone thought was to blame.
As the police officer questioned this kid, I asked if I could go. She asked if I witnessed anything, and I said no. With a firetruck, ambulance, and another officer on the way, I wasn't really needed, so she let me go.
I'm pretty sure the whole episode ruined the kids' day from embarrassment alone. I don't care...I know I did the right thing. But the question is, did the mystery police caller ALSO do the right thing by calling and leaving?
Leave your thoughts. I'd love to see them.

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

As a parent, I am so glad that you stopped to help those kids. That was worth more to that boy than the 100's of people driving by. I hope that if my or your kids are in that situation someone will stop to help them too. I'm glad your swagger wagon didn't hit them!