Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Another Tri Weekend

In a mere 4 days I'll be doing my second tri of the summer, my 3rd overall. I am thanking GOD that this week's weather is supposed to be halfway decent, because the next time I swim in a lake will be on the last Sunday of the month and I have a feeling it will be a chilly half mile.

This week's events are taking place in beautiful Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Had I planned better, and my parents not decided to visit Mickey Mouse, John and I could have gotten a room up north and had a fine, fun, and fabulous weekend. If all goes well this weekend, and I decide I like this particular race, perhaps that will be an option for next year.

As it is, I'm nervous not about my performance- we all know I'm not competitive. I just want to do well. I'm also not too worried about the extra long bike route; 18 miles will leave you with a relatively sore hiney.

No, I am worried about 2 things mainly, one being that this race is co-ed. I don't have problems with men per se, but even the non-competitive men are about a hundred thousand times more competitive than me, and I've heard horror stories about getting kicked and elbowed by those who want to get ahead. Can't I just do my swim in peace?

The other thing that I'm not really worried about, but definitely not looking forward to is being cold. Those lake waters get cold. I HATE being cold. The last race I did the water was less than 71 degrees and by the time you're finishing that 1/2 mile your legs are cramping and you're gasping for air and hyperventilating because it is so freaking COLD. I keep repeating to myself that this is less than a half mile, so it should be less than 10 minutes of my time, and hey, I can do anything for 10 minutes, right?

I am anticipating over an hour on the bike. Someone who can do math can figure out how long it should take me. It's an 18 mile ride, and I try to maintain a 22-25 mph pace, unless of course I'm going uphill. And I'm pretty sure there are hills. Or maybe that's on the run, because if you read the course description it says you will end with "KILLER HILL". If it's during the run, I think I'll be alright, since I've been hill training in my 'hood and all. If it's not, well, those math equations might not work out for any of us, eh?

Send me good vibes! I'm sure I'll be writing about my adventures in Dairy Land very soon!

http://www.lakegenevasports.com/LG_Tri/LGTri.htm

(Tri info, in case yer inarested).

2 comments:

Weiss Women said...

well good luck lady!! We will be competing on the same day! I checked out the website. So you are doing the sprint? We will be eating Blue Bunny Ice Cream after our event. Top that! I will be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts! Rock this one out!

Weiss Women said...

Oh and ours is co-ed too. I wonder what that will be like. The little one we did a couple of weeks ago was all women and everyone was so sweet and gracious. Can the men be like that too?