Thursday, September 16, 2010

Your Recipe of the Week

I've decided that I'm going to try a new dairy free adventure at least once a week to replace our old standbys, or at least shake things up a bit. Knowing me this resolution will last another 2 days, but at least I started out trying. The recipe will appear on different days of different weeks, depending on our crazy ass sports schedule and everything else we've got going on.

This is what I made for dinner last night. I've made this before, just not dairy free. It turned out well, except my kids thought the onions were worms.

Cube Steak Yummy Bake

Ingredients:

Flour 1/2 c
seasoned salt 1t.
ground black pepper 1/4 t (although I never measure. Eyeball it to taste).
garlic powder 1/4 t.
Cube steak 3lbs (I used 4 'patties' for our family and there are no leftovers)
veg. oil 1T
Cream of mushroom soup 1 can (RECIPE FOR DAIRY FREE FOLLOWS)
Beef Broth 1 can or 2 cubes of make your own w/Bouillon. (to be honest here, I only had 1 beef cube and 1 chicken cube and it turned out just fine).
1 onion sliced into rings
non dairy butter substitute: 1/4 cub (melted)
Dried bread product 3 C (the recipe calls for dried pieces of bread cubed. I used croutons because that's what I had, and they add a little more flavor).
a dash of wheat germ
a dash of flax seed

Mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, wheat germ and flax seed in a shallow dish. Coat the meat with flour and lightly brown (less than 5 m. per side) the meat in oil. Place the meat in a 9x13 in dish when done (it helps to use a foil pan). When all the meat is brown, add the cream of mush soup, 1 c of broth and the onion to the remaining flour and mix well. pour this mix into the skillet scraping up all the browned bits to create a delish sauce. Heat until simmering, and then pour over the meat in the baking dish. In a bowl, combine the rest of the broth, the butter and the bread crumbs. Put over the steaks. Bake at 350 for an hour or so.

Now for the Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe

In a pan, combine 1 and 1/4 cup of milk substitute ( I actually used soy milk coffee creamer, and it was a little bit sweeter and delish)
2 T flour
1 T cornstarch
1 T veg. oil
1 tsp. salt
1/8 t. onion powder
dash or more of garlic powder
mushrooms (you can use canned but I preferred to use a container of fresh. It was a lot of shrooms, but for the aforementioned recipe it worked out great).

In a saucepan, whisk the milk, flour, cornstarch, oil, salt, onion and garlic powders until smooth. Stir in the shrooms, whisk continuously over med. heat for about 10 min., or until thickened.

No comments: