Friday, August 13, 2010

A Totally Made Up Recipe

Not that many of you have to eat dairy free, but I thought I'd share my newest latest and greatest made up lasagna recipe. Amounts are approximated because in cooking I never measure. Baking, yes. Cooking no. Also, if you love the nectar of a lactating cow, you could try this without the dairy free option.

Cut up an eggplant into circles. Put them on a baking sheet covered with foil that you have sprayed down. Spray the eggplant or sprinkle some olive oil on them. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.

While that's happening, combine some vegan cream cheese (oh, about 1/2 a tub worth) with about 1/2 a bag of rice shreds (mozzarella flavor).

Spray an 8x8 pan. Or douse it with some olive oil. Spread some sauce on the bottom. (I cheated and used some storebought, usually I make my own, but I didn't have time, and John had already bought and opened it and I wanted to jar in recycling the next day.)

Take the Eggplant out of the oven and fold up the foil so that it steams tender for 15 min.

Layer your noodles, followed by eggplant, followed by 'cheese' . Repeat. Cover with sauce. Cover with foil. Bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Top with Vegan Mozzarella slices (they melt better on the top than the shreds). Cook for 5 minutes (don't wait for it to get too melty/ooey gooey like regular cheese. Aint gonna happen). Let stand for 10 minutes and then watch your children devour a healthy meal for once.

Do happy dance that you finally found something the WHOLE family will eat without complaining.

Make sure you lie to small children when they sniff out eggplant and say "What is THIS?" by telling them its burnt noodles and grandpa's favorite.

No comments: