Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Hills Of Omaha- Lewis and Clark be Damned

Well, I did it! I did the Inaugural Omaha Olympic Distance Triathlon. That's a 1 mile swim (in Wetsuit Illegal waters, but that's okay because the water was almost 83 degrees), a 26 mile bike up some nice Nebraskan Mountains, and then a 6.2 mile run up some more Nebraskan Mountains. My time wasn't great, but I wasn't doing this for a time. Not to mention, Aunt Flo came to visit, so during my transitions I had to take care of business, if you know what I mean. And that's okay.


If you ask Nate, I ALMOST came in first, but my shoe came untied, and I had to fix it, so then really I came in second. Too bad those first place finishers finished about an hour and a half before I did, but who's keeping track? And I know right now you are questioning my references to the mountains of Nebraska. Lewis and Clark were wrong. It is not flat, corn land. It is hilly, hilly hilly. So hilly that I was trudging up the mountain thinking of analogies such as: Water is to Wet as Omaha is to Hilly. I was hoofing at 5 miles per hour to get up the hill, and then coasted at 35 miles per hour going down. Julz got off her bike and walked it up faster than she was riding. Do you get where I'm going here? It was HARD. HARD. HARD! My friends decided they don't want to do an Olympic distance race again. I'm not sold on that theory, but if I do another race like this again, it will be done on a flat course. Somewhere closer to home, just so I could shave about a half hour off my time and think I'm too incredibly awesome for words.

When I was starting the run, (the run start pretty much consisted of running up a pitted dirt hill and then trail running for a 1/4 of a mile) I saw some dude getting taken away on a stretcher. He didn't finish, and the medics were asking if he was having chest pains. That is the point of my story where I decided and said aloud, "Awww HELL to the NO! That right there is BULLSHIT! I am NOT going to die on a mountain in Omaha". And so I walked up the hill. And I continued on the run/walk plan, especially when required to go uphill. And you know what? I finished, and did waaaay better than that dude in an ambulance, or all those 'elites' in the med tent getting pumped full of IV fluids. I enjoyed my day, and for that alone I was a winner.


After the race we got to shower and meet up at Leslie's (www.momontherocks.com). She was so awesome and had pizza and snacky snacks and invited a new friend over who just happens to make cakes just for fun and who had made a special triathlon cake with pretty pink frosting that tasted like a piece of heaven. Leslie can make friends anywhere, and her massage therapist also came over to join the party. And give us massages. As I was working on an overused knee injury and my legs are still pretty pissed at me, I just had her work my back. She beat the hell out of me, but it was a good hurt, and I think that's how a normal persons muscles are supposed to feel. I think. We also watched Hot Tub Time Machine. I'm not sure if we were on an adrenaline high or crash or slap happy because we were up at 3:30 a.m., but that is one funny movie. I promise to watch it again.


It was a fun weekend. The hospitality at Julz's home couldn't have been better, and she is such an inspiration when it comes to doing these races. These ladies are amazing because the DO make friends everywhere, which is a special gift. They know how to have fun, and hold each other up at the same time, and I am priveliged to be in their inner circle.

I'm just not sure about doing the Omaha tri again.....

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

You did such an awesome job! I am so proud of all of us. Rumor has it that the Omaha tri has one of hte toughest courses ever. In the history of life! I believe it! We were so glad you came out to experience this with us.