Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Maddie!

Okay, so I've been a bit behind with writing about you on your birthday since it was a good week and 2 days ago. But, to be fair to me, our home was hit by the plague, and I was busy cleaning up EVERYONE'S (except my own, because I only got a mild form of the plague) vomit. Our house has been Lysoled, bleached, wiped, rubbed, scrubbed, and the carpets shampooed, so we should be good now.

Moving on, we had a special visitor for your birthday. We have you kids call her Grandma Mae. Mae is an old friend of the family. She was my Aunt's Godmother, and my aunt was the same age as my mom. Mae is 89 and for lack of better wording, pretty badass. She is as sharp as a Rambo knife, and would ask me questions about my taxes and how we bought our house and finances, and so I told her to ask John who is an accountant and handles all that, to that got the reply, "Oh No, he'll just think I'm a nosy old bitch!". I had to do a double take on the language thing, but got over it, because Mae's favorite phrases are, "You're damn right", and "This is damn good wine". And yes, she enjoys her Catawba wine, which I couldn't find anywhere, and when I finally did it suited her, as it was pink, and fruity, and delicate.

This picutre makes Opa look like Gulliver. You'll understand the reference someday.
More on Mae. She walks 3 miles a day. She doesn't like to baby herself. She traveled from Oma and Opa's to Canada, all on her own, and she read the Business and Money sections from the nespaper everyday. She ate dinner at our house and helped with the dishes. I want to be like her when I'm 89. Here's your cake! You helped decorate it, but I should note you wanted nothing but CHOCOLATE. This is a chocolate cake, complete with TWO cans of frosting. You LOVED it!


Oh you beautiful little four year old.



This is such a nice picture of you and daddy I HAD to include it. He still doesn't think you look like him. I'm thinking he needs his eyes checked. I think I may just have to print this and frame it. I like it that much.


You enjoyed some pool time on your day. It was hot, hot hot!!!!






Okay, I know it's YOUR birthday Maddie, but I had to put Jack's picture in. He was wearing long sleeves and pants all day because he got stung by a bee in church and was tramatized beyond belief. I'm still not sure he's recovered.



And so begins another year for you. You are the most amazingly independent four year old ever, and you hold your own with "The Brothers". You want to do everything by yourself. EVERYTHING. Even things you shouldn't, but I let you do do everything that I find acceptably appropriate, even though it kills me that you want to grow up so quickly. You want to be in school RIGHT NOW because the boys are. I love at night when you get a book that we've read a few times, (Like Green Eggs and Ham) and you 'read' it to me. You are a good reader!
I love when you disappear upstairs and put on your music and sing and dance to yourself because you think no one is looking, or nobody can hear you. But we can, and it's really just very sweet. And cute. You got all these crazy Zhu Zhu pets and Little Pet Shop toys for your birthday because you LOVE your pets. You love animals and we can't have real ones here. Sorry about that.
I'm excited for you as a four year old. You're going to grow up so much and learn so many things. I'm so proud of you all the time, even when you are pouting and putting your foot down, because you are asserting your independence in your tiny whirlwind of a way.
I'm so thankful that you are my daughter, because as I like to tell you, you're my favorite daughter in the whole wide world!





No comments: