Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stencilectomy Success

It's only the second half of day one sans tonsils and I have already had enough with the blond haired blue eyed pariah I like to call Barbie. But Maddie is chilling out, relaxing, and enjoying the show, so what can I say?

In short, today's surgical events went well. We got to the hospital at 6:30, met with the ENT, chatted with the anesthesiologist (whom I requested based on my insider info from Super Nurse) and I sent my hungry, scared child on her merry way into the O.R. right on schedule at 7:30. She was done at 7:54 (I know this because you get an ID number to watch on the flat screen so you know what is going on at all times), and saw the ENT around 8.

It's kind of a scary thought when an ENT, who does this all the time and sees this all the time says, "Well, Jen, those tonsils were huge. So huge in fact, I have to wonder how she was getting in enough air to breathe". Hmmmm. And then he followed up with "I think you made the right decision to take them out". Again....Hmmmm. I suppose I'll agree.

We had to wait a while for her to wake up. In fact, we couldn't get in to recovery until shortly after 9, at which point she fell asleep on my lap until John and I switched and then switched again and finally shifted enough to wake her around 10:30. She did not want her popsicle, but downed TWO hospital sized containers of ice cream and so we went home to begin the Barbie Bonanza.

She's sleeping now, but was seriously pissed about 2 hours ago because "mommy forgot to feed me wunch". No baby, mommy didn't forget. You just can't have it. Her voice is all funny and muddled, like her insides are swollen, but she's doing well.

I am sure that tomorrow she'll be a bit more herself. She'll be able to eat some soft foods, like jell-o and soup broth. I could sure use a glass of wine, but will hold off until I know she's really a-okay and won't need to be rushed to the E.R.

Until then, I guess my dad will have to have one for me.....

No comments: