Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Car Crash

No, I'm not referring to the song by Matt Nathanson (which I love by the way). I am referring to the fact that I was rear-ended on Monday after I took Maddie to the Doctor for her pre-op physical, ran to Wal-Mart and then was heading to preschool to pick up Nate and Kate.

For my good friends who know about my less than stellar driving record, I swear this one wasn't my fault. Really. It's not like the time I hit a 65 year old pedestrian. Well, I didn't so much as hit him as he jumped out at me and bounced off of my car. That story in and of itself is like my own personal party trick- every time I'm with some of my favorite people, and we're sitting around having a few beers they're all always like, "Okay Tell us the story about the time you rammed your car into a pedestrian again!". Or the one that starts out with, "Well, I was backing the car out of the driveway and managed to hit 3 parked vehicles in the process."

No friends, this time I was at a stop sign. Just sitting there watching the cars go by, when WHAMMO! I was jarred. And all I could think of was, "Oh shit. Now I'm going to be late picking the kids up from school." So I turned my head, checked on Maddie (she was fine, the guy literally was starting to roll thru the stop at less than 5mph) and then I had to call the school while this older guy was standing at my window yelling, "There's no damage! There's no damage! I just checked!" At which point I put up my index finger in my best, "You need to hold on a minute because mommy is on the phone, buddy" attitude.

I got out and checked. He was in this big truck with some sort of crash bar on his bumper which dented and he kept saying, "I thought you were going thru the stop and I was looking the other way", and I kept thinking, "You can't really go through a stop sign when there are cars coming because then you can die fool!"

There were some scratches on my bumper and a bit of a compression at the stress joint in the back, but in good conscience I couldn't even ask the guy to fix the scratches, because most of them are caused by my boys closing the garage door while I'm unloading groceries. Get the visual on that...closing garage door on van hatch back. Funny.

So we are fine. I was in my first not my fault accident. And I'm a little sore around the edges today, but I think I have some wine and muscle relaxers. Tonight might just be a good night!

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Oh my goodness!! You didn't mention this to me on the phone! I am so glad you guys are ok. Good luck on Tuesday with Maddie and her stencil removal!