Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why Soccer is Stupid

I used to think I wasn't a big sports fan. After yesterday, I decided, "Mmm...not so. I LOVE to sit and watch a good ballgame in the SUN and drink a nice, cold $8 beer." Baseball never makes you sit in the rain...

And after last night I decided I am not a soccer fan, but apparently, my children LOVE to play it, so I'm stuck. I will not EVER consider myself a soccer mom though...you know the moms with mini-vans and a "Go Jack" sticker on the back window, and the lawn chairs they lug to every game and practice. I've got the van and I stop there.

Jack had a game last night. In the rain. The e-mail from the commissioner of soccer actually read something like, "The fields may be wet, but we're still playing". Yah, the fields were soaked. And it was still raining until about 10 minutes before the game ended.

To top it off, the fields were not only wet, but freshly mowed. So the kids were all covered in grass and mud and sand and WET! It was Murphy's Law that I had decided to hand wash my kitchen floors to rid them of the hops and other grains that have been living there since Saturday's brewfest.

I had the kids strip naked in the garage, dusted off most of the grass, and shuffled them into the tub, before dinner. The floors are getting dirty already, but I avoided a major grass and mud situation by having naked kids running wild in the house.

In case you're wondering, Jack scored a goal and blocked a few others. He really likes soccer. Sigh.... Does that make me a soccer mom by default then?

2 comments:

Keri Speidel said...

uh huh...you drive a minivan which officially puts you in the category of SOCCER MOM! Kapow. :)

Let me know if you want me to change your blog layout someday....

jen said...

Soccer ROCKS, unless, it's raining, windy, too early, too late, during German school, or at the exact same time as a party other than that it ROCKS!!!
BTW you are soooo a soccer mom if you took your son to the game during a storm and stayed there to watch!!! Just an FYI!
Jen